Is there a point when you SHOULD'NT update the video driver?

Monkey34

Supreme [H]ardness
Whats your opinion on drivers for different gpu's? Heres the thing.......I just came back from a friends house, after 2 hours of the computer crashing( he tried updating to the newest driver - 56.72) on a geforce 4mx420, I finally got it to work with the old driver (28.something).
Another time, I had a geforce2 mx, that seemed never to work on anything over 12.41

Is there a point when you dont update?

No reason as long as you're using WindowsXP and you set up a restore point before any major driver change. This has always saved me :)

Good luck,

Scott

I think maybe I'm being unclear. In anyones experience, does a newer driver become worthless ( no performance improvements) at a certain point, depending on the GPU?

ie: dont bother going past xx.xx driver if you have a geforce 2, xx.xx if you have a geforce3........etc.

It depends, you should always read the driver fixes paper on the driver, usually its under a tiltle like driver fixes, if there is a known issue with an older card usually Nvidia trys to fix it, they are pretty good at supporting stuff, but I think that the Geforce 2 and 4MX are a bit too antequaited to keep supporting, so i think you should upgrade to a semi modern card, GF4's are still good if you can find them for a cheap price, the TI4200 should still be able to play modern DX9 games on medium graphics at 1024x768, but you will not get DX9 effects, only DX8 effects.

Back