Is there a noticable difference between Q9550 E0/C1? Whats the best heatsink for this

Trying to figure it out, hoping maybe someone can chime in and give me a bit of advice.

I'm looking at the Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 processor, to be paired with a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358 and 8GB of G.skill DDR2 1066 RAM, using a Corsair 850w PSU and a Sapphire Radeon X4850X2.

I am hoping to hit 3.6-4.0GHz on air, using my Antec 900.

I see that there is two different steppings of this CPU, and I'm wondering what the real big differences are in overclocking, and where I can guarantee I'm getting an E0 if it is the much better CPU.

I also have no idea what a decent heatsink is for this processor. I am budgeting around 40-60 for the heatsink/fan assembly.

I'm hoping some of you can help me get this all completely figured out, so I can finally retire my PentiumD 805 / ATI Radeon X1950 Pro rig. :D

I'm in the same boat as you; started a similar thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1392828&highlight=q9550

I've seen 3.6-3.8's and 4.0 plus achieved over on some other forums- mostly c1's; both air and water. Hunt/google around and you'll find a lot of info.

I'll be using a Tuniq Tower or a TT Spin Q in either a 900 or a Skeleton (depends on whether I do a complete pull from the current 900 setup and swap over to the Skeleton).

E0s are definitely better overclockers. C1s generally top out at 3.8GHz stable on air cooling, whereas E0 chips tend to reach 4-4.2GHz or better at the same or better voltages. I don't know about guaranteeing that you'll get an E0, but most of the chips currently in the channel are E0s now anyway, so there's a pretty good chance that you'll get one. Even if you do end up with a C1, you'll still have a good chance of hitting 3.8GHz though (and 3.6GHz is pretty much guaranteed).

As for the heatsink, the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is a great choice. Pair it with the bolt-through kit and it'll fit nicely in the lower range of your budget, while providing performance almost as good as the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, which is generally regarded as the best air cooler available (albeit considerably more expensive than the Xigmatek). Another good option would be the OCZ Vendetta 2 (not the original Vendetta though).

E0s are definitely better overclockers. C1s generally top out at 3.8GHz stable on air cooling, whereas E0 chips tend to reach 4-4.2GHz or better at the same or better voltages. I don't know about guaranteeing that you'll get an E0, but most of the chips currently in the channel are E0s now anyway, so there's a pretty good chance that you'll get one. Even if you do end up with a C1, you'll still have a good chance of hitting 3.8GHz though (and 3.6GHz is pretty much guaranteed).

As for the heatsink, the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is a great choice. Pair it with the bolt-through kit and it'll fit nicely in the lower range of your budget, while providing performance almost as good as the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, which is generally regarded as the best air cooler available (albeit considerably more expensive than the Xigmatek). Another good option would be the OCZ Vendetta 2 (not the original Vendetta though).
Im seriously considering a q9550/q9650, been reading up on them and the newer stepping q9550's are hitting 4.0ghz relatively easy. Im currently on a 3.8ghz q6600, which is a very nice speed for that cpu, i fancy the challenge of geting a 45nm quad and pushing it to 4.0 or above (if i get a good chip) ive had some great fun clocking the q6600 on air so id like to see what i could do with a newer quad and my freezing cold air cooling setup.

Trying to figure it out, hoping maybe someone can chime in and give me a bit of advice.

I'm looking at the Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 processor, to be paired with a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358 and 8GB of G.skill DDR2 1066 RAM, using a Corsair 850w PSU and a Sapphire Radeon X4850X2.

I am hoping to hit 3.6-4.0GHz on air, using my Antec 900.

I see that there is two different steppings of this CPU, and I'm wondering what the real big differences are in overclocking, and where I can guarantee I'm getting an E0 if it is the much better CPU.

I also have no idea what a decent heatsink is for this processor. I am budgeting around 40-60 for the heatsink/fan assembly.

I'm hoping some of you can help me get this all completely figured out, so I can finally retire my PentiumD 805 / ATI Radeon X1950 Pro rig. :D

Well, I'm rocking about the same setup, Antec 300 w/the same motherboard and an E0 q9550, I'm actually using the G. Skill DDR2 800 RAM rather than the 1066. I bought everything through Newegg about 2 weeks ago. I went to MicroCenter and got a deal on a Xigmatech S1283 + mounting plate (I walked out at 30 bux on a couple of open boxes). Here is a screenshot of what I'm able to run at...

387ghzaircooled-1.jpg

Back