Is there a Doc in the house? My comp needs urgent fixing

Tsuyashu

Limp Gawd
Anyway...my computer is dying on me, from time to time I get screen lock ups, blinking video, auto reboots, you name it!
Am a complete newb when it comes to dealing with computer problems and think of me as the annoying friend you have, asking you to come over and check my computer.

I believe a clean re-install of the whole computer and inspection of the parts and dusting might help do away most of the problems. One thing however I think my graphics card is hitting the bucket.

At the moment am using a BFG 7900 GT and oh yeah, here are some screenies...

Screwup.jpg

ScreenCapture_2008_06_02_12_38_09.jpg

ScreenCapture_2008_06_02_12_37_55.jpg

ScreenCapture_2008_06_02_12_37_3-1.jpg

As you can see...my video is quite fudged up even in desktop mode, I dont know all the terms like ghosting...? bleeding? when it comes to monitors or whatever. I really dont know whats the problem, all am doing is pointing fingers to random things but yeah I definitely need help.
Sooo can anyone tell me what might be wrong? and fyi the last 3 screenies are from a game called Requiem which leads me to another question
If there is anything wrong with my graphics card, I plan on getting another card either way, and at the moment am confused on what card to get, I was considering the BFG 8800 GT OC2 but then again I saw another version..? BFG 8800 GT OCX but I couldnt find any reviews at all for it. Also I read some reviews that the 8800 GT OC2 heats like a bitch? would the OCX solve this problem?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143117
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143136

I know this month supposedly there are new cards coming out from which everyone seems to be talking about, and considering that with the 9x series and 8x, which card would suit me best?
Am trying to go for a 200$ and below ballpark and sli it up or a 200$+ for an exceptional card non sli.
At best am a mmorpg player - Requiem, Perfectworld, Oblivion, etc
FPS: Warrock
I plan on maxing the settings on such games in 1600 by 1200 or 1920 by 1200, unlike some people I dont really play any graphics demanding games like Crysis. Some games am looking forward to and might play are Aion, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online. I really dont know how much power these games need so if anyone can push me to the right direction, it will be great

I also dont know how to solve this heating problem of mine, I dont know if any of my fans broke down on me and if anyone can recommend a good one that is also $$ efficient that will be awesome.

Fk my screen is blinking, and my computer is probably going to crash now, but gimme some tips and I'll update soon with what my current setup is IE: Parts

What temperature is your video card running at? atitool should tell you. And if you wanted to try, you can try reducing either gpu clock or video ram clock, and see if one is the culprit.

What temperature is your video card running at? atitool should tell you. And if you wanted to try, you can try reducing either gpu clock or video ram clock, and see if one is the culprit.

Probably wont do anything. Once you start seeing artifacts in just windows, you know something is broken.

The VRAM? I really dont know what that means or artifacts? but I assume that its time it needed to kick the bucket? I purchased most of my parts on 9/10/2006

Here is a list of my parts that create my computer, if you could tell me a better substitute with the motto "More bang for your money"

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI x 16 ATX Intel Motherboard

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply

Antec 75003 120mm Case Fan

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6300

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048 5400c4

Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

ARTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

LITE-ON 16x DVD-R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SHW160P6S05

That is most of my main parts, am trying to keep at least some of them and get some new parts, however I suck when it comes to researching what is good. So it will be great for some suggestions, thanks.

PS: My graphics card is probably long gone right? even if I would to try to send it to BFG to try to get it repaired?

Yeah, very typical of early 7900GTs. Mine did the same thing. I think most had those problems.

The vram on those cards seemed to love to crap out.

Temps won't matter if it is the 7900GT issue. You are going to have to RMA it.

Lifetime warranty. Even if you're going to upgrade, might as well rma and sell it

As noted already, RMA time - the card is toast. The 7900GTs were notorious for dying with symptoms such as shown in your screenshots. You should count yourself lucky that it lasted this long frankly. I went through 3 of the buggers, and even then wasn't perfect (7900GT+Vista=f*cked). I just never bothered to RMA a 4th time since I got into the swing of having RivaTuner set lower than stock clocks to avoid boot-up corruption issues, and finally got a G92 card.

I agree w/ the RMA and sell idea. It may not be worth much, but you're better off selling the RMA'd card, and putting that towards at least a 9600GT, or up to 8800GTS (G92 ONLY!) for a ~$130-180/200 range. And if you get either BFG again, or EVGA, you can step-up when the new cards come out - 90 days for EVGA, 100 (I think?) days for BFG... If you like the new GTX 2x0 cards, and want to fork out the $200+ more that is.

ps vRam=the cards memory - the main culprit in the bad cards, that and the vReg [voltage regulation] circuits were blisteringly hot.

pps Your current PSU might be able to handle an upgrade and all, but given that it's 2 years old+, and wasn't very efficient to begin with, I'd suggest you consider a new PSU as well... Ie: the Corsair 550VX, buy.com has it @ $65/shipped, AR w/ Google Checkout right now. $78/shipped AR/GCO for the 650TX

I thought it was only the early 7900gt's that had the bad ram. I just recently upgraded to a g92 but my old 7900gs was still more than I needed. Hell of a clocker. With a simple ink voltmod, I was up to 700/800/60. Stock volts on ram too. With a little bump in voltage with a pencil mod, I had ram up to 880-900, but it was pointless since it's not memory limited

figure it'd be maybe $10 to ship it to get an rma, and then you could sell it for maybe $60 or so. Decent proceeds towards a g92, which are getting real cheap, and if you can hold out for another month or so, probably even cheaper. Then again, by then the next gen's will be out, so ehh

Back