Is there a diffrence between WRT54g and bussness class ap?

apple2gs

Mr. No-Photon
Is there a difference between WRT54g, and a business class ap? I am looking at getting a WAP200e access point.

HUGE HUGE difference..just as with any home switch, router, computer, antivirus, ...versus business class products.

Stability
Features
Support from the vendor
"Horsepower"...throughput, number of concurrent connections, etc.
Often numbers of APs are managed from a centralized management console
..and naturally...price.

Realize that the unit you linked above....is designed for outdoor environments. I've setup some of the Linksys external units (this models predecesor) with hi gain pole antenna options..they do OK.

I'm generally not fond of any Linksys wireless products in the business arena....but these do OK.

I use the Linksys APs when forced to by budget. I start by recommending a decent business grade AP. For medical related businesses, I only recommend a business class AP due to HIPAA regulations.

What stonecat said. The business devices typically also have better support and hardening for security.

WRT54G: Easy on the setup, headaches from there on out. Have replacements on hand if used for anything even remotely important.

Business AP(depends on model): Headache to setup, smooth sailing from there. And chances are, you'll never have to replace it due to failure.

Thanks for all the replys. I work at a summer camp, and a about three years ago we implemented a camp wireless network. We went with WRT54G's because one of are board members thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread. Since setting them up I have had nothing but problems with the units.

WRT54G: Easy on the setup, headaches from there on out. Have replacements on hand if used for anything even remotely important.

Business AP(depends on model): Headache to setup, smooth sailing from there. And chances are, you'll never have to replace it due to failure.

I agree. At a place I used to work, we used to pull those 54G's out of all sorts of small (and medium sized, unfortunatly) companies that finally ponied up to pro shop rather than an IT guy working out of his trunk. (No offense to those guys, you provide a great server to really small companies) We used a lot of the Netgear WAG102 and WAG302's. I love the 54G's for home stuff, but not when some big church is hanging 100 users off it. :eek:

I agree. At a place I used to work, we used to pull those 54G's out of all sorts of small (and medium sized, unfortunatly) companies that finally ponied up to pro shop rather than an IT guy working out of his trunk. (No offense to those guys, you provide a great server to really small companies) We used a lot of the Netgear WAG102 and WAG302's. I love the 54G's for home stuff, but not when some big church is hanging 100 users off it. :eek:

I love the Netgear's business line myself. And considering you can pick up a WG302 for around $150 theres really no excuse to halfass stuff with consumer grade crap.

jus my opion i will never purchase another WRT54g again they drop off all the time they need reset constantly. i have 2 of them that are a never ending pain in my ass. they have upgraded firmware and all kinds of stuff trying to get them more stable nothing helps that are still crappy. my advice never buy one to start with. i totally agree if your using this router you better have back ups because they will go down.

i dont know, maybe i got lucky with mine, but ive had it for 2 years, reset it maybe twice, not because i had to, and its never dropped out on me. 4 story house with 3 wireless users, 1 wired.

Back