is there a better headset than the Sennheiser GAME ZERO ?

T

troyquigley

is there a better headset than the Sennheiser GAME ZERO ?
for the same price or less

I only use it for gaming
i also have no use for surround sound.

stereo only

Perhaps not in its purest form.

(Though Audeze is starting a gaming brand and I'd expect those cans to compare or exceed the offerings of Sennheiser including a higher price)

You can also consider getting a mod mic and attaching it to a headphone of your choice.

Pros being:
-better mic no doubt
-choice of headset that better fits your preferred choice in game audio
----Ex: more highs, less bass, more soundstage and imaging for immersion etc...

Not sure if that's something you've considered. How important is a closed back design as opposed to an open backed one? (Noise isolation)

I have 4 kids, so I have a noisy house ! LOL

Closed is a must for me.

Needing a microphone is easily solved with a ModMic 6. So don't let "It doesn't have a microphone" stop you from audiophile bliss.

Can confirm this is QUALITY. I needed a USB soundcard as the audio was real noisy from the onboard mic input. The $12 USB soundcard from Amazon solved that. I only use it for the microphone input, not output.

How is the velcro treating you?

I keep looking at this thing, figuring to later epoxy on a small magnet

How is the velcro treating you?

I keep looking at this thing, figuring to later epoxy on a small magnet

Ah, forgot about that. The little adhesives that come with the clips are bad. Like, real bad. I put some ca (super glue) between the clip and the adhesive and they seem to hold now.

Otherwise, for the price it sounds great paired with my HD650s.

Last edited:
That video sealed the deal for me to try it. That and the fact that it's only $25. Yes, I did need a $12 USB soundcard from Amazon to get clean audio but that's more my PCs fault and less the mic.

I'll post some pics later showing the problem with the clips.

Either way, I don't see the point of "gaming headsts". Just get good headphones and add a mic.

That video sealed the deal for me to try it. That and the fact that it's only $25. Yes, I did need a $12 USB soundcard from Amazon to get clean audio but that's more my PCs fault and less the mic.

I'll post some pics later showing the problem with the clips.

Either way, I don't see the point of "gaming headsts". Just get good headphones and add a mic.

For most people who don't know any better or try to do any research, "Gaming" = "Good". Especially if you put shiny words like "7.1" or any other Buzzwords with it. I was like this until I played around with the A70 and got the different cups and could immediately tell the difference in sound - and the game was afoot.

To be fair, to get the most out of some of these headphones you'll need more than just a headset and a computer. Once you get too deep in the game, you'll find out there's things like DACs and AMPs and different types of cables, modding the cans... You can easily spend thousand of dollars in the pursuit of beautiful sound and all-day comfort. For example, the Game Ones, to me aren't comfortable for truly long sessions. Reviewers praise it for being really really comfortable. I can't wear them more than 20 minutes without feeling itchy and I'm always aware they're there. On the flip side, Sennheiser's 800 / 800 s feels so good and are so open that I yanked them off my head while getting a drink because I forgot they were there after hours of having the sound muted. But they also cost a lot more than G1s.

Last edited:
Game Zero sucked. I bought it because I was tired of the ambient noise pickup of my Blue Yeti desk mic. (mechanical keyboard clicking/HVAC, etc) The closed headphones, and lack of return feedback of my voice in the Game Zero made me crazy. It was uncanny to hear myself, but muted and distant. I couldn't get used to it. My Old Turtle Bbeach closed gaming headphones have a feedback mechanism that lets me hear my own voice in realtime in the closed cans. They are better headphones than the Game Zero - no question. I don't even like them that much though - because they are small, and have noise when you turn them up --- but they are still better than the Game Zero. I like my Sennheiser HD-595, when I don't need a mic. I returned the Game Zero to Amazon without any regrets --- as I'll either continue to use my old Turtle Beach x11 (I think they are) or my Senn 595.

I wish Sennheiser would release a more top shelf gaming headphone based on something like the 600 or 650 -- The Game Zero, and assumedly Game One have drivers and comfort level of their mid tier models -- 400 series or so, maybe low 500 series --- which just isn't very good IMO --- after experiencing nicer models. (595, 600, 800, etc)

The Philips SHP9500 is a heck of a lot better heaphone than the Game Zero and only cost $60 or so. It's no mic, but that $25 mic linked above would make it a far superior option than the Game Zero or Game One - because the headphones are actually good!

The Philips SHP9500 is a heck of a lot better heaphone than the Game Zero and only cost $60 or so. It's no mic, but that $25 mic linked above would make it a far superior option than the Game Zero or Game One - because the headphones are actually good!

SHPs are great (and easy to drive!) and my usual go-to suggestion for something to game with but the OP said closed back is required.

Closed only --- okay.

I honestly don't know which of these to recommend, because I have a really old set that I mentioned above that they no longer sell, but to my knowledge Turtle Beach always recycles your voice into the headset, so it sounds natural when you speak - even with closed cans. It might be worth evaluating some 3rd party reviews on these models. I thought my old, cheap x11 give me every bit the sound quality of the Game Zero's I tried. (if not better than the Game Zero - which as I mentioned were really disappointing to me as a long time headphone user).

https://www.turtlebeach.com/collections/pc-gaming-headsets

Last edited:
Yeah, but OP said closed...

So Audio Technica ATH-M40x's?
I also have a set of M40s (I have far too many cans, it's a problem) and enjoy them though I'm not sold on the flat tuning being enjoyable for some for gaming. Though I game with Sennheiser HD650s so I don't mind the lack of pure bass.

I like flat, but then I do a little mixing and buy for music not BOOM.

Status CB1s are only $63 on Amazon. I've a set right here, decent, but not good enough to replace my modded ATH-A900s. (Which makes sense, the A900s were like $250)

We may have a similar problem...

With a modmic the Philips SHP9500S can be an affordable option.

OK.
Which headphone is going to sound the best for gaming ?

Sennheiser HD280PRO

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

Status Audio CB-1

Philips SHP9500S

OK.
Which headphone is going to sound the best for gaming ?

Sennheiser HD280PRO

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

Status Audio CB-1

Philips SHP9500S

That's always going to be a matter of opinion, you know. Best to test them yourself. Don't you have those online shops that have no questions asked return policies?

I prefer open-back headphones for gaming. It's just easier to get positioning and a larger sound stage with opens. With that said, Philips SHP9500S is the over-ear, open back headphones, so I'd recommend those for gaming.

I prefer open-back headphones for gaming. It's just easier to get positioning and a larger sound stage with opens. With that said, Philips SHP9500S is the over-ear, open back headphones, so I'd recommend those for gaming.

Depends on your usage, for some people the isolation is really good, especially if you go to LANs.

I only play in my bedroom.

I decided to try out the Philips SHP9500S.
I found them on newegg for $55.

I found alot of people that say the soundstage is way better on open back headphones, so I figured I would give it a try.

I will let you know what I find out.

I will be able to compare my Sennheiser gsp 300 VS the Philips SHP9500S.

I only play in my bedroom.

I decided to try out the Philips SHP9500S.
I found them on newegg for $55.

I found alot of people that say the soundstage is way better on open back headphones, so I figured I would give it a try.

I will let you know what I find out.

I will be able to compare my Sennheiser gsp 300 VS the Philips SHP9500S.

let them break in for 24 hours after you receive theme before you do much listening.

Run them continuously for 24 hours before using them ?
Does it matter what is played thru them ?

Run them continuously for 24 hours before using them ?
Does it matter what is played thru them ?

Doesn't matter - just put them on the radio at a volume you listen to for 24 hours. That's what I did. When I first unboxed them I didn't particularly like them compared to my Sennheiser 595. But I had heard my friends pair and though they were on the same level -- though sounded a bit different - at least the same quality. After I let them break in - which I read somewhere else - when I returned to audition them the second day I thought they sounded more like I had heard my friends pair to sound. I'm not a big proponent of break in as it relates to larger traditional loudspeakers - but maybe there's something to it with headphones? Feel free to try the same experiment -- maybe it was placebo, but I thought it made a difference.

Doesn't matter - just put them on the radio at a volume you listen to for 24 hours. That's what I did. When I first unboxed them I didn't particularly like them compared to my Sennheiser 595. But I had heard my friends pair and though they were on the same level -- though sounded a bit different - at least the same quality. After I let them break in - which I read somewhere else - when I returned to audition them the second day I thought they sounded more like I had heard my friends pair to sound. I'm not a big proponent of break in as it relates to larger traditional loudspeakers - but maybe there's something to it with headphones? Feel free to try the same experiment -- maybe it was placebo, but I thought it made a difference.

If the driver hasn't been broken in at the factory the parameters can change dozens of percents during the first hours of running.

UPDATE >>>

They DO have a larger sound stage (environment feels bigger).
They are very light and comfortable !
They are definitely better at positioning in rainbow six siege.

I have zero complaints. I just have to make sure to close all the doors and reduce all ambient sounds.

Fantastic headphones for only $55 on newegg.

I am using:
Phillips Fidelio X1 headphones (uses detachable 3.5mm cable)

Replaced stock detachable cable with a v-Moda Pro Boom mic
https://v-moda.com/products/boompro-microphone

works great, and it's bendable and stays put exactly where you stick it. If your headphone uses detachable 3.5mm, you can use this mic to turn any headphones into a headset.

I don't know what great headsets are as I have always had cheap ones... but a few years back, wife bought me the turtle beach x42 for my xbox one and love it...
so for PC I splurged a bit on a better headset and wow...
love my
Logitech G930 ....

I would recommend headphones any day over a headset, however for a great closed headset I would recommend the Beyerdynamic MMX300. If they are too expensive I would look at Hyper X Cloud 2. I think Beyerdynamic OEMs components for them, and they are probably better than the Game Zero.

Back