Is there a 24" LCD that doesn't have some issue with it?

Tabs

Limp Gawd
I'm getting a 24" display next week and it seems like all of the ones I'm considering have some sort of show stopper issue with them:

Dell 2407WFP-HC - bad ghosting issues, no HDMI

LG 246WP-BN - gets stuck in power save mode

Samsung 244T - no HDMI

I don't want a TN panel and my next video card will probably have HDMI. Is there a panel out there that doesn't have any outstanding issues and has HDMI? The LG looks great but there's huge threads about people having it get stuff in power save mode all the time... don't want that happening obviously...

Thanks!
Ryan

Short answer- no
Long answer- You just have to figure out the one that has all the plusses that you need with the minuses not being a serious issue. Hopefully someone will release the near perfect monitor (in any size) that is everything to everyone.:D

So what's the verdict then, should I even get one now or should I wait until something comes out that doesn't have these kinds of issues?

Am I going to lose anything if I use an HDMI to DVI converter? ChrisM from Dell says they've fixed the ghosting problem on the 2407WFP-HC and that if you get one with the issue they'll exchange it for one that doesn't have it... That seems like a decent deal, but there's the lack of HDMI.

So what's the verdict then, should I even get one now or should I wait until something comes out that doesn't have these kinds of issues?

Am I going to lose anything if I use an HDMI to DVI converter? ChrisM from Dell says they've fixed the ghosting problem on the 2407WFP-HC and that if you get one with the issue they'll exchange it for one that doesn't have it... That seems like a decent deal, but there's the lack of HDMI.

From my knowledge, I think the Dell 2407wfp-hc has multiple ghosting problems.. Dell hasn't fixed all of them and can't due to the actual panel being used. Same problems as the Gateway 24"...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_2407wfp-hc.htm

I'm getting a 24" display next week and it seems like all of the ones I'm considering have some sort of show stopper issue with them:

Dell 2407WFP-HC - bad ghosting issues, no HDMI

LG 246WP-BN - gets stuck in power save mode

Samsung 244T - no HDMI

I don't want a TN panel and my next video card will probably have HDMI. Is there a panel out there that doesn't have any outstanding issues and has HDMI? The LG looks great but there's huge threads about people having it get stuff in power save mode all the time... don't want that happening obviously...

Thanks!
Ryan
Correct me if I am wrong, but what is the point of HDMI if your monitor does not have speakers built into it...?

I know the Dell has no HDMI but the DVI is still capable of displaying HDCP content.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what is the point of HDMI if your monitor does not have speakers built into it...?

I know the Dell has no HDMI but the DVI is still capable of displaying HDCP content.

I've been wondering about this too. When I had my LG246 I was wondering how I could hear sound when I hooked up a PS3 or 360. I thought that having audio/video in one cable was cool, but now it seems to be a serious issue.

I think most people want the HDMI for the ps3 even if you won't use the monitor speakers. Sure you can use the DVI for the ps3 but then what would you use for your PC? vga? ...

I think most people want the HDMI for the ps3 even if you won't use the monitor speakers. Sure you can use the DVI for the ps3 but then what would you use for your PC? vga? ...

So then you'd play with your PS3 without sound...

Thats basically what the other posters are pointing out.

I think the only way to really take advantage of any display unit using HDMI is to also have a receiver that has HDMI in and out otherwise no matter how good the TV is the built in speakers will never take full advantage of the digital signal.

What I am interested in is a way to have HDMI video and analog sound.

Obviously the PS3 isn't HDMI only, just use the HDMI for the HD signal, and the composite cables for the audio.

Unless the PS3 is super picky about which outputs it uses...

HDMI is incredibly overrated... DVI ports are exactly the same thing except audio isn't included... Who wants to use onboard monitor speakers IF they have them? You should be asking for extra DVI ports so you can plug a PS3 and computer into the same monitor. Then run an HDMI to DVI cable to the monitor.

Either way, Benq = $640, Soyo = $300... same panel...

I actually just assumed it would be best to use HDMI when I get my new system in January - if it's really just the same thing as DVI+sound then who cares I guess.

I'm not intending to get a PS3 - I'll be running my PC into the DVI input and my 360 into the VGA input. (I of course had to buy it just a few months before they started putting HDMI out on all of them...)

So then you'd play with your PS3 without sound...

Thats basically what the other posters are pointing out.

This doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure you can select the analog output for sound out of the PS3 to hook it up to your standard computer speakers.

What are the issues with the BenQ FP241W? I'm almost sold on that one... it's got every type of input and doesn't have ghosting problems (that I'm aware of)

I think one of the lingering issues is overscan via HDMI. Supposedly, there is a version manufactured in may that is nigh perfect. Unfortunately, no one seems to be able to find one. There may be other issues that I haven't listed. I was considering the FP241W at one point but I moved on to other monitors in search of the perfect monitor.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is overscan? I'm not planning on using hdmi anyway but is there a problem using dvi?

Back