Is Ther a Way To Remove Bandwidth Cap In FireFox?

BlackTigers91

2[H]4U
Just kinda wondering. Right now, I can't get more thank 150kb/s through FireFox, no matter what I have going. I mean, with one file downloading I can get a full 150, but when I throw a second into the mix, they shift so that I get 50kb/s on one, and 100kb/s on another. And if I throw in a third, they all go to around 50kb/s. Is there anyway to remove this cap? Would it be illegal?

Firefox isn't limiting your download speed, your internet service is.

agreed its not a firefox issue.

If you are trying to download 3 things from the same site, the site can limit traffic to each user to maintain quality for other users.

Oh :(.

That blows. They were all from different sites (a BF2 patch, a Linux ISO, and something else). I'm paying for 1.5mb/s and they cap my download at 150? Gay...

BlackTigers91 said:

That blows. They were all from different sites (a BF2 patch, a Linux ISO, and something else). I'm paying for 1.5mb/s and they cap my download at 150? Gay...

You're getting what you paid for. The ISP rates the speed in megabits per second. Firefox is reading the speed in megabytes. Your max speed would be just shy of 190K

swatbat said:
You're getting what you paid for. The ISP rates the speed in megabits per second. Firefox is reading the speed in megabytes. Your max speed would be just shy of 190K

what he said

My rule of thumb for DSL:
Megabits * 1000, divide by nine. That is generally your max download speed +/- 10K/sec.
1.5Mbit DSL = 1500/9 = 167K/sec (My actual speeds with Qwest were 170K/sec)

My rule of thumb for Adelphia Cable:
Megabits * 1000, divide by seven. That is generally your max download speed +/- 10K/sec.
4Mbit Cable = 4000/7 = 571K/sec (My actual speeds were 560K/sec)
6Mbit Cable = 6000/7 = 857K/sec (My actual speeds are 850K/sec)

BlackTigers91 said:

What everyone else says... 1.5mb(megabits) = 150KB.

Mb is megabits, MB is megabytes. There is 8 bits in 1 byte. take the 1500 Megabits per second you are paying for and divide by 8 and it will give you 187.5 KiloBytes per second. Seems like it is running at about what you are paying for.

I'm running Verizon FioS at the moment with the 15000/2000 package. I normally clock out around 14700-15300. My download speed, on average, is around 1900kb/sec flat.

RandysWay said:
I'm running Verizon FioS at the moment with the 15000/2000 package. I normally clock out around 14700-15300. My download speed, on average, is around 1900kb/sec flat.
How much does that cost?

Firefox does limit you to 2 connections per server by default. You can change this using alt:config and searching for "network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server". Double click that and change it to what you like.

I'm in a little town called Wildomar in Southern California. I'm right next to Temecula and about an hour north of San Diego. They tore up the sidewalks and street for about four months to drop the fiber underground.. and believe me, I was counting every day. :D

I'm paying $39.95/mo for the 15000/2000 package, and it's rumored to be upgraded (for free) to 20000/5000, like it is in NY & NJ. Hopefully it'll come true. :D I would have gotten the 30000/5000 package, but they want something like $179.95/mo for it.. I have no idea why that package is $140.00 more per month. :confused:

I have experienced zero downtime so far and never had any speed issues. :D My 3000/768 Verizon DSL I had before FiOS went down all the time.

-R

I have FIOS also and max out around 1.8.. It's rare of course that I find a site that I can download that from, but I work for a webhost and have no problem pulling 1.4+ from my server there.

So I download stuff with that (as it's 100mb), then download it it to my home pc.

Assuming you're using Windows, your bandwidth is limited to 80% by default. Trying doing a registry edit to optimize it. Update your network drivers. Do some research on how to optimize your network settings.

I can download around 2,000-3,500kB/s using my university's ISP, whereas my roommates only download around 20-30kB/s. Within the same LAN, I can download over 10,000kB/s! Yes, I'm talking about bytes and not bits.

It's all about your network settings. ;)

That %20 the O/S uses is more or less BS

the OS is supposed to reserve X% for the O/S - but never have i seen it actually go into affect, i have tried the gpedit and changing it and it makes zero difference.

Back