• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is the x-qpack really considered sff?

arabdon1203

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
203
I got one and man it's huge. No where near the size of traditional sff's. I dont understand how it's sff. Im not saying it isnt nice, It is. It's alot easier to transport than mid towers (even antec lan boys etc) but it's no where near traditional sff.
 
SFF = "small form factor"

Is it smaller than a tower? Yes? Well, there ya go.
 
dderidex said:
SFF = "small form factor"

Is it smaller than a tower? Yes? Well, there ya go.

The foot print is actually alot larger. And your explanation is a bit lacking :p
 
I can almost carry it with one hand like a pizza. I know I can heft it with little effort. The handle works. I don't and won't mind moving it around the house once I get a wireless adapter.

Now, looking back at my past track record of behemoths at all the LANs I go to...

Yah, it's SFF. It's a definitely welcome change.
 
I think it would be hard to make it any smaller without making many more sacrifices.
 
arabdon1203 said:
I got one and man it's huge. No where near the size of traditional sff's. I dont understand how it's sff. Im not saying it isnt nice, It is. It's alot easier to transport than mid towers (even antec lan boys etc) but it's no where near traditional sff.

There is actually no such thing as SFF, in a standardization context anyway.

SFF has traditionally emcompased mini-itx, flexATX (shuttles), and mATX.

Think of it as the brand name "Band-Aid", what you are using is a healing strip, but everyone knows it as a "Band-Aid".

It is the same as SFF and Shuttles. Shuttles just made SFF popular, and got the term SFF out there to the masses. So that is what is generally associated with it.

But mATX is indeed SFF.
 
Tiny said:
There is actually no such thing as SFF, in a standardization context anyway.

SFF has traditionally emcompased mini-itx, flexATX (shuttles), and mATX.

Think of it as the brand name "Band-Aid", what you are using is a healing strip, but everyone knows it as a "Band-Aid".

It is the same as SFF and Shuttles. Shuttles just made SFF popular, and got the term SFF out there to the masses. So that is what is generally associated with it.

But mATX is indeed SFF.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up ;) :)
 
also, the footprint doesn't matter so much as the overall volume. it's still smaller than a tower despite its bigger footprint.

in order to get something smaller like a shuttle, you'd have to start sacrificing upgradability and cooling solutions. it'd be more expensive for a company to make their own hsf like shuttle does, and odds are that it wouldn't be that good, either. plus it'd have to lose the second 5.25" slot due to physical constraints.

if there was a shuttle made using the 6150/430 chipset, i'd be very tempted to get that instead of a qpack + matx mobo (assuming that it's a good overclocker, like the sn25p). i need that chipset over the nf4 ultra though cuz i want the integrated video. it's gonna b a few months more after i build my computer before i can get a good video card, and the integrated video will still be (sadly) an upgrade from my current video card.
 
I thought the same when I got my Qpack. Especially since I've owned shuttles in the past I thought the Qpack was quite huge. However it's grown on me and I definitely consider it SFF from both a size and aesthetics point of view.

I know it's much easier to look at the Qpack in my living room than it was for me to look at the Antec Aira. And the Aira was what many consider to be a relatively small and attractive case. I find the Qpack is WAY easier on the eyes.
 
Back
Top