Is the Wireless M510 a bad choice for games? please help my confusion

hyeedo

n00b
I normally use a RX1000
I purchased a Logitech M510 and I feel as though the mouse is a bit lagy compared to the Rx1000 when I play counterstrike
Is it just me not used to it or is the wireless mouse worse, or is it because the mouse is heavier?
I can exchange for a wired logitech M500
Please I am very confused

What you are noticing is an increase in input lag, which is the time it takes for mouse movements to reach the screen. Wired mice are the way to go unless your situation requires you to have a wireless mouse.

Thank you
Either I will exchange for the M500 wired
Or ill just stick to my RX1000 when I play games

Yeah, for First Person Shooters, I wouldn't suggest any wireless mouse (save maybe the G700, which I've heard good things about input lag wise). Games that require you to make quick and accurate moves in order to do well are best played with a good wired mouse.

Now, if FPS gaming is important to you, I'd suggest going away from the M500 (which doesn't get great reviews for fast paced gaming, of course, that wasn't what it was designed for). If you want to stick with a laser engine, a G5 will give you the same basic form factor as the M500 with better gaming performance (and great features such as on the fly adjustable sensitivity). If you are willing to spend a bit more, the G500 is essentially the same as the G5, but more accurate and with better button placement. If you are willing to go to an optical engine (and save a little money), a MX518 is also a fantastic choice that will still give you great gaming performance and retain the same form factor as the others (though you give up on some of the nice features of the G5 and G500).

Do some research. Hit some review sites. Most importantly, go to the store and put all of them in your hand. Best way to figure out what is best for YOU.

Or, if FPS gaming isn't that important to you, then you can just go with the chorded M500 which will get rid of the input lag. Either way lol.

This post is old, but I just wanted to comment that I just picked up a M510 because I needed a cheap wireless mouse to control my PC from the couch (my pc doubles as a desktop system and HTPC) and picked up this mouse for $21.18 out the door at Staples today and I'm shocked that it performs on par with my corded MX518. I only planned on using the M510 for HTPC use from the couch but I've ran both mice side-by-side tonight and have done some online gaming and M510 surprisingly feels better for hitscan aiming in Unreal Tournament than the 518 does (but this might be due to the smaller ergos).

I can't perceive any lag difference between the two mice and I'm using a 21" Sony Trinitron monitor at 100Hz and from quickly moving the mouse cursor around on the desktop to playing UT2004 online back to back with each mouse the only problem I found with the M510 is that sometimes when picking up the mouse to reposition during fast movements it would seem to lose tracking for a split second here and there (but not all the time) but feel this is due to laser vs optical other then wired vs wireless. I do have to drop the cursor speed in Setpoint down two notches from where I normally have the 518 set at to give it a similar feel in movement speed but definitely no lag at all - both mice sitting here on my mousepad...

new-mouse-mx510-wireless-laser.jpg

I've always been afraid of wireless for the fear of lag, but I'm cutting the wire and retiring my MX518.... I'm surprised my hitscan actually feels better with this thing... It doesn't just feel better, but I was flat out hitting so much more with the Lightning gun (I was actually switching mice during matches). Also surprising is that even though the M510 requires two batteries, it still feels about the same weight as the 518. Not too shabby! :eek: The box claims two year battery life... interesting...

Edit: After playing more it seems the main problem with the M510 is fast twitch movements it seems to lose tracking. Otherwise, no lag.

Last edited:
If your mx518 is at 125hz polling rate then you don't know what t hell you've been missing all these years, use setpoint 4.6 to increase it up to 500hz, once you go past the standard mouse polling rate you CAN'T go back to wireless mice, they just feel so fucking laggy/inaccurate in comparison ( G7/ mamba / G700 excluded ) oh and mx518 is one of the heaviest wired mice, try a razer abyssus next time ;-)

If your mx518 is at 125hz polling rate then you don't know what t hell you've been missing all these years, use setpoint 4.6 to increase it up to 500hz, once you go past the standard mouse polling rate you CAN'T go back to wireless mice, they just feel so fucking laggy/inaccurate in comparison ( G7/ mamba / G700 excluded ) oh and mx518 is one of the heaviest wired mice, try a razer abyssus next time ;-)

I've actually been using the 250Hz polling rate with the MX518 for years... I've used more, but it only seemed to slow down the mouse speed other than help with aim or anything. Seriously, I can't feel any difference in lag with the M510 over the MX518. The main problem is I think the laser tech over regular optical with sudden fast swipes it can lose tracking. It's the feeling like all off a sudden loosing your drive shaft at full throttle and you loose all your go forward power even though you're pressing the gas fully, heh.

Even though a higher polling rate felt a little smoother, it didn't seem to effect how good I could perform in-game. One time I did a re-install and forgot to change the polling rate and I never really noticed I forgot the tweak. I use a range of 17cm to 22cm of sensitivity depending on the game.

Last edited:
The main problem is I think the laser tech over regular optical with sudden fast swipes it can lose tracking. It's the feeling like all off a sudden loosing your drive shaft at full throttle and you loose all your go forward power even though you're pressing the gas fully, heh.
That's because of the specific sensor used in the M510, since it's not really designed to cope with gaming. There are better sensors that can handle that kind of movement without any problems.

That's because of the specific sensor used in the M510, since it's not really designed to cope with gaming. There are better sensors that can handle that kind of movement without any problems.

Ahh... I see. Well I bought it because for the purpose of controlling the PC when in HTPC mode from the couch and it was on sale for cheap. I never planned on gaming with it but it does work good for the most part (MUCH better than expected). It's too bad it looses tracking every now and then because it otherwise feels good. Any recommendations for a wireless laser mouse with about the same smaller ergonomics of the M510 that can handle gaming good?

The only wireless mouse I'd really suggest for gaming is the Logitech G700.

I stand corrected about the polling rate difference. Since my last windows install I had forget to apply the polling rate overclock and just had been used to the standard 125Hz setting. I've since reapplied the overclock to 500Hz the MX518 does feel much more smooth and precise now. But that's not entirely the reason for dropping back to the MX518 for gaming - loosing tracking all the time in Unreal Tournament was just horrendous with the M510. I've owned two MX518's and I have never, not even once over the years, made either of them skip or loose tracking. Not once, not ever. And lastly, with the custom DPI settings of the MX518, you can just get the feel and fine tuning much more to your own personal comfort zone to where the M510's standard adjustments have too much of a gap between each setting.

So my final verdict with the M510 as a gaming mouse now that I've had more time with it and have been able to test more back to back with the MX518 is that it's perfectly fine for the average person with slower paced and single players games and there's no real discernible input lag if input lag is your main concern with wireless. But with something more fast paced and online multiplayer the main problem is the loss of tracking during fast swipes and movements followed by the finer adjustments to get the feel "just right" to personal preference and finally the ability to have a higher polling rate. Doesn't matter to me since that's not the reason I bought the M510 anyway. Controlling the HTPC wirelessly from the couch while being compatible with my wired mouse on the same install using the same drivers without conflict at a reasonable price was the main objective and the M510 is perfect in this regard. :p I do still feel that the smaller ergonomics of the M510 over the MX518 does help give a more precise feel over fine hitscan type aiming, but with all the tweaks applied and the better hardware performance of the MX518, overall it just leaves the M510 in the dust when the going gets tough.

I know people that use these for gaming and are totally happy with it. I prefer wired mice as the reaction time is always a few miliseconds faster and there is never any problems like interference or empty batteries. You know that batteries always tend to get empty in the worst moment, but if you can handle all these caveats just go for it, i guess it's like 90% personal preference and 10% tactical choice so don't think too much about it, just try it out.

Back