• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is the WD74 still relevant?

Jbroad572

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
192
I am in the process of building a hackintosh. I was planning to use a SSD 80gb for Apple OS and wanted to do a 40gb ssd for windows 7, but I have a 74gb Raptor from back in the day that runs 10,000 rpm that has XP loaded on it from a build way back when. Could I use that for the Windows system instead? Would it still be a good drive to use? Not sure how much life is in it, but might plan on backing up all the data and reformatting to upgrade to 7.
 
It won't be smoking fast or anything, but should be tolerable as an OS drive. It'll be noisy and hot though, especially for the performance it will provide. As to lifespan, it's probably got another 10 years in it.
 
If you're going to be using OSX most of the time, then there's no point in buying another SSD for Windows. I say slap it on the Raptor and be done with it.
 
Cool, makes me happy. I can't recall, but one of my drives started clicking last time I used it... hope it wasn't the raptor. I have an old WD 200gb drive as well with a lot of information on it. I need to buy either an external HD or 2tb HD and back everything up. If the raptor can last and run Windows 7 for a good month or 2 even if it has problems I'll roll with that and plan for a cheap ssd just to load OS and maybe some games later down the road.
 
I can't recall, but one of my drives started clicking last time I used it... hope it wasn't the raptor.

Just look at the SMART with a program like CrystalDiskInfo. If the drive thinks its bad (or is having any serious problems) CrystalDiskInfo will tell you..
 
In my experience these older raptors still provide a better user experience than even a high-end modern 7200rpm drive. The lower access times and ability to handle more tasks before becoming "bogged down" seem to make the biggest difference.

Though it doesn't even come close to an SSD.
 
Back
Top