is the video card the problem? or is the problem between the keyboard and the chair?

x1600c

Limp Gawd
while playing any game for several rounds (circa 1.5Hrs) the screen freezes and there are blotches of color. after resisting the urge to gnaw through the keyboard cord and send it through the LCD. I eventually restart the computer. Also I need to repair windows every few days. I've run a memtest for 2-2.5 hours and no errors happen. All the while the nominal temp is 61C. When I run 3dmark05 there are no artifacts. the card is a xfx6800nu unoverclocked running on omega drivers. The MOBO is a chaintech VNF3-250, there are two sticks of corsair PC3200 LL. As well as an unoverclocked s754 2800+ . Could there be some benchmark to test the video card memory alone?

You might try to run ATITool. It has an artifact checker which is supposed to run on NVIDIA cards although I can't speak from any experience as a Radeon 9700 owner. Its main down side is that the artifact checker seems primarily dependent on DirectX 7 and so it probably won't heat up your video card as much as it could.

Have you tried opening the case and running it with a large desk fan blowing on the video card? If that doesn't fix your problem then you would figure it has nothing to do with overheating. One and a half hours is an awfully long time for overheating to be the problem unless the temp inside your case is slowly climbing. Usually cases reach an equilibrium temp at full load way quicker than that so you'd guess that overheating probably isn't the problem.

Have you tried the standard disable fast writes and slow down your AGP port as described here? That works for more than a few people.

Also I need to repair windows every few days.
That makes it sound more like RAM, hard disk, or flakey CPU or motherboard then video board. Have you seen if it can run the Prime95 blend test overnight and scanned your hard disk and checked the SMART info?

I don't know what the exact problem is, but hard-locks are typically hardware failure issues so I would suggest removing all extraneous hardware, then replacing 1 part at a time until the problem goes away.

Hopefully you have a friend with some similar hardware how can lend you some stuff to test with for awhile.

I would test stuff in this order:

Remove all unnecessary hardware and leave it out until done testing (sound card, network card, modem, etc.).
New PSU
New Harddrive (re-install your OS on the new one).
New RAM
New CPU
New Mobo

Hopefully you find the problem before you get to the CPU and Mobo parts since borrowing that kind of stuff is not so easy to do.

Personally my guess is that it's either the PSU or Hardrive (or both).

Back