Is the stock intel HSF really that bad?

macncheese

n00b
My 820 just arrived and I must say Im pretty impressed with the included HSF's construction. Nice fit and finish with a copper base and an unshrouded fan, much better than expected. I think this or a very similar one is the standard for the 775 socket.

So before I get testing, is its performance on par with its construction or should I go ahead and order a better HSF or will the only real gains be in water cooling? I'm anticipating a mild overclock, nothing extreme.

--
Dave

Mild overclock it and then watch the temps....that is how you tell if the stock HSF is enough.

the stock hsf will be fine for mild overclock, at least that's my experience. i've gone from 2.0 to 2.4 and upped the voltage 0.025V and the temps raised maybe 2 or 3 degrees.

on a s478... this is a duak core s775... its a heat hog :p there better than most aftermarket ones from what ive seen so far

I overclocked my intel p4 2.4 a to 3.4 ghz with no problems when gaming i run under 50 degrees. My amd athalon ran 55 degrees at idle. Clearly there cant be one problem with the hsf if i can get a 1ghz overclock. I find its great quality a pressed in copper core thats not just a small piece of copper it goes all the way through. And a quiet running fan. Keeps my temps low so i have no complaints. :)

if it is the prescott cooler that has the copper core its a nice cooler, just pretty loud from what i hear

Back