Is the RocketRAID 2782 a good card?

Yeah.. I saw that. I'm sure it is some pricing mistake but I'm still tempted to try.

My questions is if it would work as a passthrough device to an OpenIndiana or Solaris Express VM for my all-in-one... at least until I can transfer my data from my WHS server to my ZFS VM, then re-install my old WHS server (AMD Phenom 9750 system) as a standalone ZFS server and transplant my drives and import the ZFS pools..

I ordered one too and am really hoping they don't cancel the order because of the price mistake.

I ordered one. Definitely seems like a price error.

I was surpirsed theres no support for Raid6. Even my Areca 1230 supports it; odd that newest flagship card from Highpoint doesnt. Also could not find any mention of on board cache in the user guide. But if nothing else, for this price it will certainly be a better controller for my C300 SSD than the onboard Marvell controller.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series_rr276x-rr274x.htm

How does this compare to a LSI-9265? It should work using HDD's as well as SSD's, correct?

The LSI-9265 blows Highpoint 2782 out of the water in most ways.

The LSI card is far more reliable.
The LSI's card's Hardware RAID implementation is far faster
The LSI's software is less buggy.

I WOULD say that you would have to weigh what features and abilites you value against the price of the LSI 9265.

Our developers have 9265's in their workstations. We do not use any highpoint cards in our enterprise.

The highpoint cards only make sense if you can get them for a good price.

I have

2 x 2220
3 x 2340
1 x 2740
1 x 2782 (not installed yet, got it yesterday actually http://i.imgur.com/LdwgA.jpg )

I have nothing really bad to say about them. They work well in a home server, though they're not as fast as the lsi/areca controllers that I have.

So then why is HighPoint the only one utilizing an x16 interface? Is it just a marketing ploy to hold over LSI and Areca on paper, or is their RAID implementation that inefficient that they actually need twice the lanes to compete? Doesn't seem to make any sense, especially with the lack of onboard cache. I'm curious to see what kind of SSD RAID performance numbers will come out of future tech LSI and Areca cards once they move on to x16 and/or PCIe 3.0. I just want to see near 15.8GB/s read/write speeds and stratospheric IOPs, I'm pretty sure you could pump the internet through a RAID array like that.
I confess that although I'm a network engineer with a fair bit of knowledge on networking and storage, I don't exactly get a lot of time or opportunity to experiment with different RAID solutions that I will probably never actually come across in my usual customers standard network configurations.
What sort of opinions do you guys have of the LSI 3rd gen I/O proc (LSISAS2208) based PCIe 2.0 and their upcoming PCIe 3.0 supported MegaRAID cards vs Areca's Intel sourced IOP348 proc based cards? I can't speak to their firmware, but the two have some interesting specs:

LSISAS2208
Dual core PowerPC 800MHz
1GB DDR3-1333
Up to 400,000 random IOPS supported
designed specifically with SSDs and PCIe 3.0 in mind

IOP348
Dual core Intel 1200MHz
upgradeable to 4GB DDR2-533
?
?

There are of course other variables to consider, along with specific model formfactors. But I'm a hardware architecture kinda guy, and I would really like to see the first flagship PCIe 3.0 based models head to head with a pile of Vertex 3 MaxIOPs'.
>hint, hint, nudge, nudge< SSD Review

Last edited:
Back