Is the PNY 6800 a decent card?

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
Not so much the specs, but quality wise, Basically i just dont want the thing to die in a month or two. :)

$199 at compusa

PNY makes great stuff. I have one of these cards sitting on my desk at the moment. It will shortly replace my Radeon 9700. By the way, the cards have a 3-year warranty (one year +two more years on registration).

P.S. The heatsink/fan on this card looks absolutely fabulous in terms of manufacturing quality. It sinks all the RAM chips, and has a heat pipe on it in addition to a nice looking squirrel-cage fan, and it's heavy. Hope you already bought your card; at some CompUSA stores this item may go really fast.

Dont think ill have any trouble finding one. All compusa stores within like 30 miles show they have em in stock in my area.

I just got one. Holy M***** F****** S***! This thing RULES! Unlocked to 16 x 6 aand awaiting an overclock. Oh my god I'm dying. BUY IT NOW!

lol im sure i wont be that suprised. I had a 6800gt and sold it months ago:)

ElementK said:
I just got one. Holy M***** F****** S***! This thing RULES! Unlocked to 16 x 6 aand awaiting an overclock. Oh my god I'm dying. BUY IT NOW!

I unlocked mine, but got corruption in 3dMark05 when playing around with it, so I've gone back to 12 pipes. Even so, it's a good deal. GeForce 6600GT AGP cards cost this much online, and the vanilla 6800 scales better at high resolutions than they do.

i just picked up the pny as well at comp usa, they had plenty. I woke up early for nothing

i couldnt unlock the pipes w.o major artifacts:( but i got the extra shader working.

Anyone know if this helps benchmarks? fps? Im pretty sure it doesnt help mine b/c my cpu is slow. In fact i ran CS source w. a 6600gt and then this card and the scores were exact same(same computer of course)

i guess i could return this card and pick up another? but they charge 15% box fee.

Success of both pipes and shader is like 56% so its not worth it.

just picked up the pny 6800.

MOD: extra shader works but pipes dont :(

anyone know if this helps benchmarks?
anyone know if this helps benchmarks?

I ran 6600gt vs 6800 CS source stress test and got same exact fps b/c my processor xp 1800

it helped my computer, but my old video card was a geforce3... and im still getting just 7075 in 3mark 03.. :\

i was referring to the difference b/w geforce 6800 and... geforce 6800 w. the extra sharder enabled.

I bought one late this morning at CUSA, they still had about a dozen. I got ready to install it and noticed that one of the capacitors had been knocked off the back of the board. Took the card back for an exchange a couple of hours later and they still had some. I got ready to install PNY 6800 #2 and (you are probably ahead of me on this) discovered that it also had a capacitor knocked off the back. I'm getting a little uncomfortable about prospects for finding one which is still completely assembled. :(

My congratulations to all who were lucky enough to get one that works.

Is it $199 after mail in rebates? If that's the case, what was the price before the mail in rebate? I've had bad luck with PNY mail in rebates. I wouldn't purchase a PNY product based off of the promise of a mail in rebate. I would spend the extra $50 and get a BFG 6800.

still worth it at 230 and would be a good deal at 250 lol

My pc:
P4 2.8 Ghz
512 mb PC 2700
PNY 6800 16 X 6 stock speeds: 10050 in 3Dmark 03!

FWIW it's a CompUSA rebate, not a PNY one. This deal is particularly nice because it has a $70 instant rebate so you're only out $230 plus tax up front.

BlackPearl said:
I bought one late this morning at CUSA, they still had about a dozen. I got ready to install it and noticed that one of the capacitors had been knocked off the back of the board. Took the card back for an exchange a couple of hours later and they still had some. I got ready to install PNY 6800 #2 and (you are probably ahead of me on this) discovered that it also had a capacitor knocked off the back. I'm getting a little uncomfortable about prospects for finding one which is still completely assembled. :(

My congratulations to all who were lucky enough to get one that works.

I also ran into this with my card. Is "capacitor" really the correct word for this little metal box piece? Card still does seem to work though.

The parts dislodged from my cards were definitely capacitors. All those look-alike SMT components have tiny markings and I also found the labeled locations on the board where they were originally mounted.

It's interesting that your card works w/a missing component. I didn't even try the cards I had today, but I got a refurb 9800np from Newegg a few months ago that also arrived w/a capacitor broken off the board and the card still worked fine. In that case, I didn't know anything was wrong until I found the damaged cap in the anti-static bag. It makes me wonder what the specific function of some of those parts is - I'm sure they had a reason for including them.

I'm glad your card is working.

The way I see it is, pay $230 at comp usa. Then, I have to pay 6.5% sales tax. So the total would be $245. Next, after waiting a couple of months for a response on my rebate from PNY, I finally get a notice that they are going to screw me once again on the mail in rebate. So, I end up paying $245 for some reject card with missing caps and a weak warranty. I cross my fingers and hope that it doesn't give out on me. Or I can get a BFG 6800 OC, which is a much better card, at outpost.com for $249 and then pay $5 for shipping for a total of $254. For $9 more, the BFG is definately worth it IMO. It comes OCed, with a lifetime warranty, cool looking HSF that works better, free Farcry, all it's caps, and it seems like people have had better chances unlocking the extra pipes on the BFG. I was going to order it today. The only problem is, it looks like a lot of other people have had the same idea, because currently it's out of stock.

The CUSA store in Mesquite has ALOT of those cards. They've got 6800's and 6800GT's in stock. No Ultra's though.

setth84 said:
it helped my computer, but my old video card was a geforce3... and im still getting just 7075 in 3mark 03.. :\

3DMark03 has almost no DirectX 9 support in it, so you're unlikely to see scores that represent the capabilities of your new card. In fact, the tests were a combination of DirectX7 and DirectX8. Comparing your Geforce3 to your new card in 3DMark05 would have been a better test.

This is crazy, I just bought a PNY 6800 here if FL and it too had a capacitor sitting in the bottom of the plastic protector. You can see where the capacitor came off the back of the card. I installed it just to see if it would work and it does. It also works with the Rivatuner hack to enable all pipelines and shaders, however it will not overclock even 1 mhz using the detect optimum settings. But using powerstrip, I can get it up to 380/810. Very weird. PNY must have had a bad run of cards. I still think I will take it back to hopefully find a card with all its capacitors in place.

is it possible something is physically wrong with my card that is making me get this low score? I could just take it back and wait for the BFG's at outpost to be back in stock..

I hope the pny 6800 is a good card It should be ok I'll post the results when I boot up the pc

mbmadness said:
The way I see it is, pay $230 at comp usa. Then, I have to pay 6.5% sales tax. So the total would be $245. Next, after waiting a couple of months for a response on my rebate from PNY, I finally get a notice that they are going to screw me once again on the mail in rebate.

Didn't some else say it was a Compusa rebate?

Headbust said:
Not so much the specs, but quality wise, Basically i just dont want the thing to die in a month or two. :)

$199 at compusa

been runnin mine since mid august :)

also managed to get ultra extreme speeds on my GT, without voltmodding :D

caps just even out the power some one on here had a good quote about them for get who it was went some thing like this

"Caps are like the Bunnys at the playboy mansion the more the better but if 1 or 2 are missing youll never know"

LoneWolf said:
PNY makes great stuff. I have one of these cards sitting on my desk at the moment. It will shortly replace my Radeon 9700. By the way, the cards have a 3-year warranty (one year +two more years on registration).

P.S. The heatsink/fan on this card looks absolutely fabulous in terms of manufacturing quality. It sinks all the RAM chips, and has a heat pipe on it in addition to a nice looking squirrel-cage fan, and it's heavy. Hope you already bought your card; at some CompUSA stores this item may go really fast.

A few weeks ago they had a whole shelf of practically every version of the 6800 that you can name. Ultra, OC, regular, you name it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but dont the PNY cards all have a lifetime warranty? Says right on their site I believe.

Just ordered a 6800 Ultra from Outpost.com. A BFG one though, you cant beat the price there and they also are in stock. Cant wait to get ir! :p

According to PNY's site, their Verto GeForce 6800 GT 256MB AGP and Verto GeForce 6800 128MB AGP only have 1 year warranties, plus an additional 2 years upon completion of a registration form on PNY's website.

Their "lifetime" warranty is simply a warranty for the lifetime of the product line, not the actual card. So when they discontinue a product, the warranty expires.

"Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warranty if the item is no longer available on the common market as a new product"

If you live in Houston the Micro Center had a sale on the eVga 6800 for 239.99... this was a sale price not a rebait price. I picked one up and unlocked the full 16 pipes and 380/800 on the o/c without even pushing it... 3dmark05 - 4243. I was up at Micro Center again yesturday and didnt see any of these cards left on the shelf but they may have more in stock.

-freon- said:
According to PNY's site, their Verto GeForce 6800 GT 256MB AGP and Verto GeForce 6800 128MB AGP only have 1 year warranties, plus an additional 2 years upon completion of a registration form on PNY's website.

Their "lifetime" warranty is simply a warranty for the lifetime of the product line, not the actual card. So when they discontinue a product, the warranty expires.

"Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warranty if the item is no longer available on the common market as a new product"

Yeah I knew about when the product is out of production the warranty essentially expires. I still thought all PNY products carried the limited lifetime warranty deal. Apparently I was wrong.

DaRkF0g said:
Yeah I knew about when the product is out of production the warranty essentially expires. I still thought all PNY products carried the limited lifetime warranty deal. Apparently I was wrong.

It was a very recent change.

Back