Is the Maxtor drive with SATA worth it over WD SE?

cwcline

n00b
The Maxtor drive with SATA and 8 mb buffer I think is around the 75 bucks but only has sa 1 year warrenty while the Wester Digital Special Edition is ATA100 and has an 8mb buffer and has a 3 year warrenty.

Is getting SATA worth giving up 2 years ona warrenty? Are the new Maxtor drives pretty reliable?

Chris

Is getting SATA worth giving up 2 years ona warrenty? Are the new Maxtor drives pretty reliable?

No. Yes.

SATA will become worthwhile when native controllers that support all of it's features become availible and native drives are the norm.

Get something with a three year warranty. You know, there are other great drives besides Maxtor and WD drives. All of Samsung's current lineup feature three year warranties. Selected Seagate 3.5" drives have three year warranties, as do Hitachi's. Do yourself a favor and visit Storage Review, and see what's best for you.

One of my local dealers indicated over the weekend that WD may be phasing out their three year warranties for WD OEM drives (not sure about the Raptor's five year warranty).

Normally, this dealer's receipt indicates the warranty period, what's covered by the dealer (i.e. 30 day replacement for failure) and by the manufacturer.

The dealer receipt now states that you need to check the specific drive over at WD's web site to determine the warranty period. The 3 drives I purchased on Friday still have three year warranties.

Anyone else know about this?

Back