Is the Lian Li PC-65 really all that?

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
Ok. So I want a new case. Are the Lain Li's really THAT nice?

Comeon, is it really worth $150 for a case?

EDIT: Surely someone has an opinion... What's so nice about them? Sell me on one! I like the looks, but I can get a windowed, black case for $50. Why spend $150 on this one?

hhhuummmm......it's made out of Al and EVERYBODY knows that if you have an Al case it will be lighter and cools much better than those steel cases ;) J/K there...it is more to the persons liking...some people like the sleek lines of the case and the quality is very good from what I have heard...but I am on the same line as you thinking $150 for a case and you still have to get a PSU to boot! if I am going to spend that kind of money then I will probably get another Shuttle since I don't need to tinker in my systems all the time, don't OC much anymore and I like the small form factor...if money or space was not an issue I would probably go for one

I like the looks, and I like Shuttles too, but I've already got the rest of the system (minux a power supply, of course). I guess I could borrow my current PS... 350 is doing enough for my Athlon64...

I think they are teh sex :D No, seriously i think they look really nice and everything, but I dont have that kinda money to spend on a case. I'd probably get one if I could afford it

you think its a lot till you work on one...i put together my friends since hes incompetant (yet he makes his friend who trips on anything thats remotly near the floor do it)...man that was pretty sweet. sweet enough that, in my weakened, caseless state, I bought a PC601 silver from him (new, he accidently got 2). the fact that the drive bay covers and the front pane is made of metal is orgasmic enough. the sliding out tray...the pop off connector for the switches so you dont have to struggle while its still inside the case...the uniform quality and color...its just awesome.

They are the nicest and highest quality of case ive ever worked with. I love coolermaster also though.

if u want a cheap lian-li go on ebay... my friend got a sweeet pc65 wit a few small scratches for about $50

My Fiancee bought me my pc6077 for my birthday. I've wanted to get a Lian-Li for a long time but could never justify spending the cash. Now that I have it I might buy another for my next machine. I couldn't tell you why but I just love the thing.

ask any computer tech that has worked on cheap ass cases and has bleed manytimes do to cheapass cases. lian li and coolermaster i've never cut myself. and will never buy a cheap ass case again.

till you actually own one you cant say its workth 150$ cause when you get it youll say damn this case was worth the money.

Why do you need the PC-65? Get the PC-60 for like $104 shipped from ExcaliberPC and then make your own window. That's what I did, I'm glad I saved the money:)

I have been happy with my 65 after a year or so. The initial setup is the only thing I have an issue with.

They use those square little springy type motherboard stand-offs. I woulda prefered the threaded hex risers that mosts cases have. You really only have to put these in once, unless you get some off the wall mobo that needs a different config, but they suck...

Originally posted by Wharf_Rat
I have been happy with my 65 after a year or so. The initial setup is the only thing I have an issue with.

They use those square little springy type motherboard stand-offs. I woulda prefered the threaded hex risers that mosts cases have. You really only have to put these in once, unless you get some off the wall mobo that needs a different config, but they suck...

Why don't you like these? You just push them through the back of the mobo tray and they clip in. How is that more difficult than screwing in the hex risers.

I mean you could even put your mobo on the ground place the tray on top and just snap them in wherver you see a screw hole in the mobo.

Well its not just the installation of them, but that is part of it. They are aluminum and very soft, so it is easy to bend them past the point they need to go for a good lock. I would much rather screw something in, rather than clip it in.

The real issue I have with them is they are not as solid as the hex risers, so they leave room for rattles from vibration.

Originally posted by matoch
Why don't you like these? You just push them through the back of the mobo tray and they clip in. How is that more difficult than screwing in the hex risers.

I mean you could even put your mobo on the ground place the tray on top and just snap them in wherver you see a screw hole in the mobo.

Ever shipped a full system? They snap of and break things a LOT.

That's a stupid design decision, imho.

Originally posted by Thaddy
Why do you need the PC-65? Get the PC-60 for like $104 shipped from ExcaliberPC and then make your own window. That's what I did, I'm glad I saved the money:)

No time/space for making my own window. And I suck at cutting straight lines/etc.

Originally posted by lopoetve
Ever shipped a full system? They snap of and break things a LOT.

That's a stupid design decision, imho.

I hadn't considered how they would hold up in shipping. I don't think I'm going to try and find out either.

Originally posted by Thaddy

WAIT theyre only 104?? my friend told me I was getting a huge steal buying his 601 for 100 from him...BASTARD. and I just paid him fully for it last night.

just get the $18.99 shipped case from ebuyer.com and order antec 430w ps and call it a day. the case was so cheaply built that it was light and had holes everywhere (translation: free cooling) :)

Depends on what you like. Some people think Lian Li are beautiful/sexy. Some people dont, but with aluminum it does run cooler and it is light if you have to move it around.

Originally posted by matoch
I hadn't considered how they would hold up in shipping. I don't think I'm going to try and find out either.

Yeah... don't. :(

Lost a P4-1.8 that way about 2 years back.

its a great case, everyone would have one if they had the money, so if you're poor get a poor quality case, if not get the premium quality

I love my Lian Li. The fit and finish are tops. All the panels can be removed and the motherboard removes for easy mb installation. The thumb screws are great, no need to use a screwdriver.

my brother has the pc-7b, and it is really a good case. it has a lot more room than it looks like on the outside due to layout. looks sweet too.

i don't like the little metal standoff clips (you can't get them out without breaking them easily) but other than that the case it well worth the 95-ish USD he paid for it. i'd prefer a removeable motherboard tray, but still. great cases.

Originally posted by rogue_jedi
my brother has the pc-7b, and it is really a good case. it has a lot more room than it looks like on the outside due to layout. looks sweet too.

i don't like the little metal standoff clips (you can't get them out without breaking them easily) but other than that the case it well worth the 95-ish USD he paid for it. i'd prefer a removeable motherboard tray, but still. great cases.

the standoffs dont break at all...you push them from the BACK of the tray and they hold perfectly

Originally posted by kronchev
the standoffs dont break at all...you push them from the BACK of the tray and they hold perfectly

Still snap off if you ship the system constructed... Or, they can... :(

Originally posted by kronchev

sure, they go in easy, but suppose you get a new mobo and it doesn't use all the same holes? i know they give ou extra, but there could still be a better system.

I've shipped my my lain-li PC 61 3 Times and never broken a thing just remember to take the heat sink off before you ship it.

Also I love lain-li's line and cleaness. It's also the easiest case i've ever had to work on.

I mean how could you not love the line and look of this.

LL.JPG

LL1.JPG

The red glow is suppost to be a UV light but it don't show up to good on my crappy digicam

I used to have a Lian Li, PC-65, and for no reason at all, I just didnt like it.

I then bought the Enermax Hydraulic door case, Sucked.

Enermax/Cheiftec setup? Too Heavy.

I then realized how nice it was to have ALUMINUM. although it has a tendency to dampen noise less, this can EASILY be resolved.

After ditching my Koolance pc2-601blw case last night, I ended up getting the coolermaster Wave case. Now I am happy. :)

((BTW)) If anyone wants a Koolance setup, I am willing to sell or trade cheap. Make offer.

Back