• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is the full Catalyst software required?

SHRED

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Messages
129
It's been a long time since I have owned an ATI (AMD) based card.
I just ordered a 4870.

Back in the day I just installed the raw drivers to avoid any potential lagging with the full Catalyst bundle.

Does this hold true today?
What would I "miss out" on if I didn't install the full software?


---
 
You don't need CCC when you install the driver package even today. But its improved drastically over the years and I would install it for safe measure.
 
All you need are the drivers, but the Catalyst control center has all the advanced settings in it. CCC has the settings for anti-alasing, AF, gamma/color/general monitor adjustments, etc. You'll still be able to set refresh and resolution using Window's monitor control panel, and if the game has AA and AF settings all you miss out on are the custom AA filters, adaptive AA and advanced AF. I find them to be the whole reason to get a card like a 4870 so I suggest having some way to turn them on. There are various 3rd party programs that work in place of CCC for those bits. That said the latest version of CCC is alot faster than the first few iterations, just install the whole package to start with, if you want you can just uninstall CCC to see if you like that better.
 
All you need are the drivers, but the Catalyst control center has all the advanced settings in it. CCC has the settings for anti-alasing, AF, gamma/color/general monitor adjustments, etc. You'll still be able to set refresh and resolution using Window's monitor control panel, and if the game has AA and AF settings all you miss out on are the custom AA filters, adaptive AA and advanced AF. I find them to be the whole reason to get a card like a 4870 so I suggest having some way to turn them on. There are various 3rd party programs that work in place of CCC for those bits. That said the latest version of CCC is alot faster than the first few iterations, just install the whole package to start with, if you want you can just uninstall CCC to see if you like that better.

Cool.
Thanks!
 
You could also just use ATT (ATI Tray Tools by Ray Adams) - Latest (beta) version 1.6.9.1391 http://cid-a50350ea7a969f0c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/attsetup.exe?ccr=148

ATT forum - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=275077&page=33

I've used it for years, in fact I have never even tried CCC, not that its crap or anything, just picky about resource using programs and yes I hear its much, much better than it used to be, but why bother with it when ATT does it all and more and is much better in my opinion.
 
Back
Top