Is the Corsair 650TX Good Enough

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
Sorry I don't have a lot of time to look around right now. Just need to know if this psu will cover it.

AMD PII 955 stock
GTX 460 1GB stock
4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
2x WD SATA HDDs, nothing fancy
DVD-RW

Thanks.

Lol. It's confusing because I was looking at reviews of the cpu and video card. Each almost using 300w at load. So I wasn't sure. Thanks guys.

Phenom II 955 uses 125 watts or less stock.
GTX 460 uses 150 watts or less stock.

I don't know what reviews you're looking at, but you're horribly misled.

Lol. It's confusing because I was looking at reviews of the cpu and video card. Each almost using 300w at load. So I wasn't sure. Thanks guys.

Actually, those "300W" results were for an entire system using either of those components (this includes CPU, mobo, GPU, drives, RAM).

So even a good 400w psu would be fine.

Likely so, unless you're overclocking. Even at stock, I recommend a good 500W PSU for that system because PSUs run at their most efficient at between 50% to 60% load. If you're overclocking, you might want to go 550W to 650W.

Likely so, unless you're overclocking. Even at stock, I recommend a good 500W PSU for that system because PSUs run at their most efficient at between 50% to 60% load. If you're overclocking, you might want to go 550W to 650W.

Alright so I'll need to replace it anyway. Sounds good. This is going in the GF's machine. I haven't updated my sig in some time.

Thanks for the help guys.

Remember, you're not at 100% load all of the time. The vast majority of the time, a PC will be at partial loads...probably 150w or so. So in actuality, a 400 unit would probably be more efficient in a typical usage setup. As always, there are special cases.

Remember, you're not at 100% load all of the time. The vast majority of the time, a PC will be at partial loads...probably 150w or so. So in actuality, a 400 unit would probably be more efficient in a typical usage setup. As always, there are special cases.

Well I ran through that psu calc thing and it was ballparking like 450w. So I'll just buy it and be safe through a few upgrades.

PSU calculators are generally not very accurate. Don't put much faith in the numbers they give you.

Back