Is the best gaming laptop right now the Dell XPS2?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
My brother is looking for a gaming lappy in the 2000 dollar range. Is the best going to be a Dell XPS2? with one of the 750 off coupons?

Its all a matter of preference. The Top of the line Alience ware and top of the line Sager are also great choices. They all have their benifets and downsides. I personally love my XPS 2.

another vote here for the xps2...i can run bf2 @ 1600x1200(havent tried higher) with everything on high and it runs like a champ! city of heroes runs 1900x1200 with everything on high at about 40 fps, not extremely high, but by all means not sluggish either! smooth as silk!

I'm sure there are others with similar hardware configs but......I vote XPS2.....I love mine also:)

I just ordered an XPS2 and how am I to tell if I got the Samsung screen or not? And to stay on topic, I would buy an XPS2 :D

If all you are doing is gaming - the XPS Gen 2 is the way to go.

If you are looking for drive I/O (encoding movies) or anything fun like that - the Clevo is a solid choice. Clevo is the ODM that makes the Alienware Area 51 7700, VooDoo PC (whatever model number), Sager NP9880, etc.

I have SQL Server, Dev products and also game on it on the side on the Sager in my sig and love the RAID 0 on SATA drives..

When evaluating my needs I optioned for the Sager over the XPS Gen 2.

The XPS 2 out does all other "gaming" lappys, according to most of the benches ive seen. I agree that if you want to do encoding or anything like that, there are better choices, but as my primary focus is on gaming and game development, i went with the XPS 2 and have not regreted the choice at all. Be sure if you do order it, to opt for the lowest amount of memory possible from Dell, it was 512 with mine, and buy the memory elsewhere, newegg was $211 shipped for 2 gig, dell was close to $500. you can see my 3dmark score on the xps in my sig

laserdemon said:
Be sure if you do order it, to opt for the lowest amount of memory possible from Dell, it was 512 with mine, and buy the memory elsewhere, newegg was $211 shipped for 2 gig, dell was close to $500.

As others have mentioned, Dell recently lowered their memory prices so they are not quite so ungodly.

Yes Right now its the Dell Gen XPS2 and Clevo's ODM laptop. If you are mainly gonna be using this on a desk and need the I/O and HT, Clevo's are great, but if its just gamming with small amounts encoding here and there, I would take a Gen 2.

thanks guys...what price should I expect to find that for?

if you can wait, Dell should have a 40% cupuon that should work with Gen XP2. If not wait till they have one.

Back