Is the BenQ FP222W a 6 bit or an 8 bit?

oymd

Weaksauce
The manual says it reproduces 16.7 million colors .....but I've also been told here on the forums that its a TN panel...which is 6 bit...

I'm confused....

Is it 6 bit...but produces 16.7 million by DITHERING?

And will i notice....

I've been using for the past 3 years a Porsche design Syncmaster 151P (IPS) screen...and after reading IPS vs VA vs TN screens on the web...I am worried of getting one of these new TN 22" monitors....I am afraid that I have been spoilt by my IPS panel...

Will I notice a DEGRADATION in text sharpness or in color reproduction?

I do game..occasionally...but response time is not so important for me...

BTW...on TRUSTED REVIEWS..a review of the BenQ FP202W (the 20" younger brother)...they mention its an 8 bit...so is the BenQ FP202W not a TN monitor...may get that since both are actually 1650x1050...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2005/10/21/BenQ-FP202W-20in-Widescreen-Monitor/p2

Thanks..

All TN panels produce 16 mil colours by dithering (aka frame rate control (FRC)). The actual effect depeneds on how well, this technology is implemented and on the sensitivity of the user.
Sometimes even these monitors are described as having "8 bit colours", but don't be fooled by this... well, from a certain perspective they do have 8 bit :)

I think you may be spoiled by your IPS screen, that's why I often ask people which wants to buy a new monitor, which monitor do they use now :)

Back