is the 6800GT worth it over the 6800

ignitionxvi

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,

I have a 21" IBM monitor capable of 1920x1440@75hz, and normally play (if its possible) at 1600x1200 right now. One thing i noticed is that at these resolutions, i don't notice any "jaggies" like i do at 800x600, so i never run AA once i get above 1280x960. Since i will be running my programs this way, should i really still spend the extra time waiting, and the extra money on a GT? I feel like if i did, because i don't run AA i'd be putting a lot of its extra power to waste, and for all i do the 6800 would be fine.

I'm not sure whether i will be playing doom 3 (i'm to scurred) but i know i will be playing far cry, battlefield vietnam, and probably half life 2 in the future. Thanks for the help.

if you are going to be upgrading agian in the next 6 months the 6800 will do ya fine, if not and ya keep your cards for a while like 2 years the 6800gt will do you good. Also if ya just want to play games on the highest setting possible the gt is the way to go :D

Not a whole lot of info for us...system specs etc...but as far as I'm concerned, the GT is worth the extra money and is the best price: performance ratio card out there right now. IMO, it's the GF4-4400 of 2004.

The rest of the system it will be packed with:

Athlon64 3200+
Nforce 3 250
1gig corsair RAM
160gig Seagate SATA HD

ignitionxvi said:
The rest of the system it will be packed with:

Athlon64 3200+
Nforce 3 250
1gig corsair RAM
160gig Seagate SATA HD

Get the GT, why saddle that system with a 12 pipe card? ;)
Hey look! Another black kettle!!! :eek:

ignitionxvi said:
because 400 dollars is a lot of money ;)

Agreed. But the delta between the GT and the non-GT is *only* $140. That's not as much money, but again- can be to some people (myself included). The question becomes is that EXTRA money worth it? I think so, others may not. That's just my opionion...you've read it, you cannot unread it.

i think the GT would be worth it... in some reviews ive read, even without AA and AF, 1600x1200 isnt exactly the nu's "friend"

If you run at 1600x1200 it probably a good idea to get a GT... I have 1280x768 native resolution and use a 6800 nu. Then again I run all my games with 4xAA/16xAF...

Plus if you get a GT you can run games at your native res (19xx by whatever)

If you are going to upgrade next 6-12 months get 6800 for only about $270 (like what i'm gonna do)

If you want a card for more than that (sure it will be damn weak but you can live with it :D )

Get GT or Ultra

SoLiD_MasteR said:
If you are going to upgrade next 6-12 months get 6800 for only about $270 (like what i'm gonna do)

If you want a card for more than that (sure it will be damn weak but you can live with it :D )

Get GT or Ultra

I'm getting the AGP GT, and when I upgrade in 1-2 years it'll be coming with me. If I cannot find an Intel board with AGP at that time, I'll be jumping ship to AMD. You can bet that they'll have AGP solutions on new chipsets in that timeframe. Unless you believe (As I suspect) that with the emergence of multicore CPU's they will make one (or more) of the cores a GPU and eliminate the need for addon cards entirely.

yevaud said:
I'm getting the AGP GT, and when I upgrade in 1-2 years it'll be coming with me. If I cannot find an Intel board with AGP at that time, I'll be jumping ship to AMD. You can bet that they'll have AGP solutions on new chipsets in that timeframe. Unless you believe (As I suspect) that with the emergence of multicore CPU's they will make one (or more) of the cores a GPU and eliminate the need for addon cards entirely.
you think AMD and Intel are going to get into the GPU market? :p

ignitionxvi said:
you think AMD and Intel are going to get into the GPU market? :p

Think about it. What would prevent them from doing so? Intel already has "extreme" graphics that it markets. Can you imagine the benefit of having a GPU that has such an intimate link to the CPU? We're gonna need some better ram than DDR2, though.

I think it's worth it...moday, I'm contacting eVGA to do the step-up program on my 6800...going to step-up to the GT.

im also thinin of gettin 6800nu or something better.. i would go for x800pro vivo over 6800gt but thats just me.
old 17" philips 107b crt monitor (prob at least 5 years old) could run 1920x1440. games ran good at 1600x1200.

Back