Is the 3980x likely to ever arrive?

Phyltre

Limp Gawd
Just searched the forums and the last I'm seeing any mention of the 3980x is January. First mentioned sometime in 2011. I know that's been on multiple roadmaps and in several leaks, but honestly we're almost at the point where it's going to be an anachronism.

Does anything think it's still coming? I was going to move on to Haswell until I heard of the USB 3.0 issues present in the first run, at which point I quickly amended my plans to nurse my LGA 2011 build for some time longer. I say that because I'm still encountering Z77 USB 3.0 and Windows 8 compatibility issues on another build, and frankly at this point I just want flawless USB 3.0.

Most likely not. The 3960X has already had a refresh in the 3970X and even so, that was just a frequency bump.

If the past is anything to go on, the 965 was replaced with the 975, the 980X was replaced with the 990X... None of them have had three refreshes until you get back to C2Q.

I'm getting excited for Ivy-E... the 4960X and 4930K if they keep the naming convention.

Back