Is that 'dark light bleeding' common ?

Hello everybody,

For roughly 1 month I'm trying to get a decent 21:9 29" IPS monitor.
I bought and returned 5 of them (4 x LG 29EA93 and 1 x ASUS PB298Q).

On 4 of the 6 monitors I had some kind of 'dark light bleeding' precisely on the bottom right corner.

Here is a picture of the 6st screen who still has the problem :
d7792841_halo.jpg

I'd like to know if this is something common with this kind of screen and I should just be happy with it, or is it some kind of defect ?

Now that you've been through 6 of them don't you know the answer? Yes it's common. They all have it more or less.

All backlit screens bleed in some fashion, some worse than others. It's just the nature of the technology. It would be better to do testing with actual graphics on the screen. Are you ever going to be doing anything on a purely white or black screen? If the issue is readily apparent in a normal productive environment, then that would be a good reason to return a monitor.

Thanks for your answers.

Only 4 of them had this 'problem' that's why I ask (defective batch ?).
Others screens had other problems (big light bleed, defective motherboard).
It's a bit more visible in reality than on the picture, but we mainly can see that thing on plain uniform backgrounds (windows 8 has a lot) it's less visible on a detailled background.

On the other side, I'm afraid to send it back, as it could even be worse with all that deadstuckpixellightbleeddefectivemotherboardthingies...

Am i the only one here around who thinks you are a very unfair person? Returning 6 (!!!) monitors just because of some glow. The shop where you bought that stuff must be very happy with such a costumer like you.
NOT

Am i the only one here around who thinks you are a very unfair person? Returning 6 (!!!) monitors just because of some glow. The shop where you bought that stuff must be very happy with such a costumer like you.
NOT

Yeah this looks more like a personality problem.

OP, I think you should switch to CRTs again.

They all have that issue in the corners, more or less.

You can't expect an amazing level of uniformity from a 29" / $450 monitor.
That's why we have monitors like NEC SpectraView and Eizo CG Series, with uniformity correction and $1000+ price tags.

NOT

Don't worry, I bought them at 4 different places, I'm not a monster :D

They all have that issue in the corners, more or less.

You can't expect an amazing level of uniformity from a 29" / $450 monitor.
That's why we have monitors like NEC SpectraView and Eizo CG Series, with uniformity correction and $1000+ price tags.

I know that every edge led backlit lcd has some kind of uniformity problems in the edges/corners, that's just how the technology works, but here it doesn't come directly from the corner, it starts slightly on the left and it's a bit more intense than what you can see on the picture.
That's why I'm thinking it's a defective led or something. But got that on 4 monitors at the exact same spot, 2 of them didn't have that thing.
Stangely, the only 2 monitors who didn't have that problem where manufactured after November 2013 whereas the 4 'defective' ones where manufactured during July-August 2013.

What frustrates me the most is that the 150$ 23" TN panel at work has a more uniform backlight than this 650$ screen I just bought !

Last edited:
I call this the "dark corner" effect. It looks like there's a shadow in the corners, right?

What I see in your example actually isn't bad at all. In fact, I think I have something similar in the lower-left corner of my display, but I can definitely live with it. What I can't live with is light bleeding in the edges.

What frustrates me the most is that the 150$ 23" TN panel at work has a more uniform backlight than this 650$ screen I just bought !
I know this feeling exactly. TN tech specifically has the best and sharpest corners of any screen type including CRT. It's not fair to the IPS positives though to compare the corners, and that dark spot is very very minor. I think you should be happy with this one.

All backlit screens bleed in some fashion, some worse than others. It's just the nature of the technology. It would be better to do testing with actual graphics on the screen. Are you ever going to be doing anything on a purely white or black screen? If the issue is readily apparent in a normal productive environment, then that would be a good reason to return a monitor.

Not all screens suffer from pretty obvious manufacturing defects however. My screen is completely free from any uniformity issues visible to the naked eye. OP's screen on the other hand has a pretty obvious blot that clearly shouldn't be there. Granted, I own an AMVA panel and they're a lot better in terms of uniformity compared to IPS and TN -- but there's a lot of people with perfectly fine IPS and TN displays. OP might be kind of a "dick" to make a fuss about something that doesn't interfere that much with the monitor's performance, but then again, people will return a screen for a single dead pixel somewhere in the corner of their screen. You wouldn't hold that against them, would you? What's annoying is annoying and the guy paid a hefty sum to get something that at the very least doesn't annoy him. This isn't exactly on the level of mild crosshatching, it's pretty damn visible.

You also have to keep in mind that we vote with our wallets. If we start accepting relatively mild issues, the manufacturers will keep pushing out mildly defective screens. That's the only reason why defects like this ever make it through the QA. Someone else will buy the screens OP rejected, but if these people were more critical, you can bet the manufacturer would take more notice.

Thank you all for your advices.

I think I will keep it and live with the fact that LCD is sh*t.
Hopefully OLED screens will change this.

Back