Is super glue conductive?

kbong

n00b
I was making rounded IDE cables and accidentally exposed some copper and was wondering if covering the exposed wire with super glue or regular elmer's glue would work? I've used pieces of electrical tape in the past, but it leaves an icky residue.

If anyone has a different quick fix to share for exposed wires I'ld appreciate that too.

kbong said:
I was making rounded IDE cables and accidentally exposed some copper and was wondering if covering the exposed wire with super glue or regular elmer's glue would work? I've used pieces of electrical tape in the past, but it leaves an icky residue.

If anyone has a different quick fix to share for exposed wires I'ld appreciate that too.

I preffer liquid electical tape. It's essentially liquid vinyl. You can pick up a jar from any hardware store for something around $5.

The_Mage18 said:
I preffer liquid electical tape. It's essentially liquid vinyl. You can pick up a jar from any hardware store for something around $5.
do they sell this at walmart???

I doubt it honestly. Hell-Mart (work there for 2+ years and get offered management, then you can claim this.) doesn't carry "specialty" items like this. Lowe's or Home Depot would though.

kbong said:
Thanks! I'll go look for it.

Never heard of that stuff.

It's great stuff! It's also usefull to use as a stress reliever for small cables. When it dries, it has a rubbery texture and flexes some too!

The_Mage18 said:
I doubt it honestly. Hell-Mart (work there for 2+ years and get offered management, then you can claim this.) doesn't carry "specialty" items like this. Lowe's or Home Depot would though.

Offered management? Hell man... try working there for 8 years *AS* management... then tell me about how it's Hell. Better yet... work there as management as get flown to Benton County, Arkansas twice a year.

The biggest Hell was the dips I had to work with and who worked for me who complained about how it was Hell-Mart.

But to answer the original question, superglue is not conductive. It is essentially acrylic when it dries or sets in (basically plastic).

Liquid electrical tape sounds promising for what you need though as mentioned...

Superglue may not be conductive, but it will smoke. I had some drip next to an exposed wire of a CCFL and the crap started smoking when the CCFL was turned on. Scared the hell out of me, thinking that CCFL was gonna start a fire in my case. :)

The_Mage18 said:

and it smells heavenly, make sure you breath in deeply when using it...then the leprechauns come and help you fix teh PC :D

it works good, I picked some up a while back at Lowes.

Superglue's non-conductive, and even works well for glueing up wounds you get from working on your computer so you dont splatter blood all around :)

tdg said:
Superglue's non-conductive, and even works well for glueing up wounds you get from working on your computer so you dont splatter blood all around :)

which was its original intention actually (for wound binding)

its an antibotic too... that was the latest thing back in ww2 or nam or something...

scares the crap out of me to think that youd have a bullet or something and the medic would be liek "this wont hurt at all" while he whips out a tube of tower hobies superglue :eek:

kbong said:

someone should slap this guy for doing something so cheap. round ide cables are like what, 50cents?

Back