Is someone stealing my internet????

H3d Case

Limp Gawd
My brother has the cable box for charter. and he has a linksys router so i have to use wireless internet since he has the cable box. i play counter-strike source generally lag-free believe it or not. around a 20-30 latency. but lately my latency would jump from 30 to 200 to 600 to freakin 1000. so i figured my brother was downloading something on limewire so i turned his computer off, came back, and i got a low-consistent latency of 30.

I think this may have somthing to do with it:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/34820125349.jpg&s=x11

(Putfile.com ^^^ ...couldnt get image to upload here)

Im not sure what that means but my brother said there shouldnt be that many there.

Help ???????

You're simply picking up other wireless networks that are near your location. Not uncommon actually. Just make sure yours is secured with a key and you'll be fine.

That is a list of other APs you can see, not of people connecting to your AP. Just make sure you are connecting to your AP and not someone else's. If you want to keep people from accessing your AP then just set up some security on it.

Set up a MAC address filter on your router, that way you will pretty much block out anyone trying to leech bandwidth from you.

Well, you can check your DHCP client table to find out if the router has been leasing to other computers. Always, always, always lock down your access points. If you have the option, turn down the signal strength so you aren't broadcasting across teh street.

Secondly, where'd you get that wallpaper? Looks pretty nice.

Or you can leave it open so when the **AA comes looking for you for using limewire, you can say that someone must have been using the open AP to do it.

Ditto on the wallpaper.

It is also possible that you are on the same channel as on of the other AP that you are picking up. I know that would cause lag with a wireless connection. you may want to check that, download netstumbler and check the channel of the other AP and if one has the same as you try to change it and see if that helps.

use nmap to scan your local subnet to see if anyone if hopping on your network and stealing your bandwidth... I wouldn't rely solely on the dhcp lease information since you can just use a static IP randomly on a dhcp-handled network, esp if there are a lot of free IPs available

I pick up other home networks, but I just ignore them...most of them are harmless not-so-computer-wiz neighbors who won't be stealing my cable

just kept them off perferred network list and turned my signal strength down a tad

Back