is socket 478 dead?

RM_Bulldog

Gawd
i heard on inquirer that they are going add more layers so they can continue to clock socket 478s up to and past 4 ghz? is this true?

Originally posted by RM_Bulldog
i heard on inquirer that they are going add more layers so they can continue to clock socket 478s up to and past 4 ghz? is this true?

I wouldn't ever believe anything that the Inquirer said, unless I saw it 10 other places first.

i think the prescott based celerons are gonna stay socket 478. but i dont think they are gonna hit higher than like 3.4ghz

arstechnica is reporting the same thing. Ive found the inquirer to be more or less accurate. since they tend to have far reaching predictions they dont do to well. most hardware site talk about things right before they're implemented or put out, the inq tends to go farther into the future.

yes, socket 478 is basically dead, they'll be a couple minor celeron based chipsets maybe, but everything is moving to the new socket with the next chipsets

I think Intel will wait till the teja's for Pentium 5. Or they might switch it over to Pentium 5 once Prescott ramps up higher and is on LGA 775 but i dont know. I think Intel's plan to leave Prescott as Pentium 4 for the moment was good. They still have to perfect the 90 nano process and get the heat under control and also on LGA 775 they can unlock 64-bit extensions if Prescott has them which i would be willing to bet they probably do after all the rumors going on surrounding it for such a long time. Plus Prescott isn't at a high enough clock speed to take advantage of its 31 stage pipelines and improved branch prediction.

Everyone joked at the Pentium 4 when it was first released because the Pentium III processors were beating it and the Athlon processors were beating it even more. Then with the release of the Pentium 4 "c" series with the 800Mhz FSB the processors started to climb over 3Ghz and whip the Athlon XP variants. As long as the clock speed on Prescott is the same speed as another processor, then the one that has fewer stages and does more work per stage is always going to be faster such as the Northwood vs Prescott scenario. Right now its pretty much like Prescott's 31 stage pipelines are idling and not really doing much. Once Prescott starts climbing over 4Ghz and nears 5GHz expect the tables to turn again.

Originally posted by burningrave101
I think Intel will wait till the teja's for Pentium 5. Or they might switch it over to Pentium 5 once Prescott ramps up higher and is on LGA 775 but i dont know. I think Intel's plan to leave Prescott as Pentium 4 for the moment was good. They still have to perfect the 90 nano process and get the heat under control and also on LGA 775 they can unlock 64-bit extensions if Prescott has them which i would be willing to bet they probably do after all the rumors going on surrounding it for such a long time. Plus Prescott isn't at a high enough clock speed to take advantage of its 31 stage pipelines and improved branch prediction.

Everyone joked at the Pentium 4 when it was first released because the Pentium III processors were beating it and the Athlon processors were beating it even more. Then with the release of the Pentium 4 "c" series with the 800Mhz FSB the processors started to climb over 3Ghz and whip the Athlon XP variants. As long as the clock speed on Prescott is the same speed as another processor, then the one that has fewer stages and does more work per stage is always going to be faster such as the Northwood vs Prescott scenario. Right now its pretty much like Prescott's 31 stage pipelines are idling and not really doing much. Once Prescott starts climbing over 4Ghz and nears 5GHz expect the tables to turn again.
Couldn't have said it better:)

Well, no not really. We won't be expecting to see a new socket type from Intel for atleast 6 months, and even then there will be problems (as with all new technology) and prices will be very, very high. So in conclusion, no one really knows if 278 is dead, it's just up to Intel wether they want to persue it, while still keeping on the roadmap.

Not *completely* true. The Prescotts ramp better than Northwoods. This means that a Northwood running at 3.2GHz beats a Prescott 3.2GHz, but if they are both at 3.4GHz, the Prescott takes a lead. If the Northwood is at 3.6GHz and the Prescott is at 3.6GHz, the lead widens noticeably. People aren't giving the Prescott enough credit. Although the Northwood may have a shorter pipeline, it does not always outperform an equally clocked Prescott. Also, the advantage of P4s over AthlonXPs were apparent several months before the "C" line came out - imo, the AthlonXPs were getting beat ever since Intel moved to the 533MHz FSB.

Bingo!

Originally posted by Mad_Pyro
imo, the AthlonXPs were getting beat ever since Intel moved to the 533MHz FSB.

from an FSB standpoint you mean when intel catched up (again) to 533?

thats what has always made me laugh about the P4... when they launched they had a 400Mhz bus! w0w...! but all that meant is that you actually had a 100mhz fsb, which was slower than the PIII's and athlon's 133mhz fsb...

the 400 = 100mhz
533 = 133
800 = 200

which the athlons also run at... but clock for clock the athlon is better... they just need to make them faster, as the P4 is over 1ghz faster as far as actuall clock speeds go

Originally posted by FLECOM
from an FSB standpoint you mean when intel catched up (again) to 533?

thats what has always made me laugh about the P4... when they launched they had a 400Mhz bus! w0w...! but all that meant is that you actually had a 100mhz fsb, which was slower than the PIII's and athlon's 133mhz fsb...

the 400 = 100mhz
533 = 133
800 = 200

which the athlons also run at... but clock for clock the athlon is better... they just need to make them faster, as the P4 is over 1ghz faster as far as actuall clock speeds go

But that quad pumped bus also allowed Intel to increase memory bandwidth, which is the big reason the Intel can out perform the Athlon. :p

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
But that quad pumped bus also allowed Intel to increase memory bandwidth, which is the big reason the Intel can out perform the Athlon. :p

well obviously it didnt help much since the first P4's with said "quad pumping" got trashed by PIII's

i feel that it is purely marketing

same as AMD with the "400mhz" fsb etc...

so AMD multiplies by 2, and intel by 4... yay

well obviously it didnt help much since the first P4's with said "quad pumping" got trashed by PIII's

Yeah, that's raw CPU power. The first P4's didn't perform that well, but they did have an advantage over the PIII in bandwidth. Once the CPU itself started to really rock, the performance has increased quite a bit over a PIII. :p

This is from an AMD fanboy, too...

Don't forget that the first P4's were not socket 478, they were socket 423. If memory serves, those were the ones getting whipped by the PIII's.

It doesn't matter if it has a 3000MHz FSB that has 15 lanes for data to travel along. You can only exploit that if your Processor and Memory are at high enough speeds to keep the bus filled. Athlon XP's are dual pumped and Pentium 4's are quad pumped and so in other words there are two lanes for data to travel on the Athlon XP and 4 lanes on the Pentium 4.

Especially when enabling dual channel, you'll notice how the Pentium 4 benefits greatly and the Athlon XP doesn't hardly at all. Its like a bridge with 2 lanes and 4 lanes, if you speed up traffic and fill the bridge with the cars, the bridge with 4 lanes is going to get everyone across twice as fast. The Athlon XP already pretty well has its two lanes saturated while the Pentium 4 has an extra two lanes to work with so two memory controllers can effectively move twice the amount of data across the bus as the Athlon XP can.

Back