Is Single-Player Gaming In Danger Of Extinction?

There is very little that is as rage inducing as Left 4 Dead with a bunch of randoms who have absolutely NO IDEA WTF, especially in versus. :)

Heh, yeah, there's that... and there's the sploiters. People who feel the need to exploit and play to win instead of playing for fun...

Two nights ago there was only 5 of us so we had to open to pub. One of our friends was unlucky enough to get stuck with the 3 pubs. As soon as the map loaded, they votekicked the one, invited a friend of theirs and sploited to the saferoom.

They didn't even care despite knowing there was 2 admins on my team. They got banned, they kept trying to sploit back in by changing names, and then spamming namechanges while notifications of their connecting to the server shows up on the screen.

It's gotten so bad that I'm only joining games where there's an admin in the game... and that's not enough, still.

Heh, yeah, there's that... and there's the sploiters. People who feel the need to exploit and play to win instead of playing for fun...

Two nights ago there was only 5 of us so we had to open to pub. One of our friends was unlucky enough to get stuck with the 3 pubs. As soon as the map loaded, they votekicked the one, invited a friend of theirs and sploited to the saferoom.

They didn't even care despite knowing there was 2 admins on my team. They got banned, they kept trying to sploit back in by changing names, and then spamming namechanges while notifications of their connecting to the server shows up on the screen.

It's gotten so bad that I'm only joining games where there's an admin in the game... and that's not enough, still.

HOLY CRAP dude, I think that is unprecedented. I've never heard of that happening, usually the people doing that form their own private lobby, team up, and then go public and unleash on the poor uncoordinated randoms that join their game.

They flipped it around, annoying but hilarious in its own way. :)

Yes, single player is dead. Now if you excuse me, I have to go back to playing Arkham Asylum.

....hey, wait a minute...

HOLY CRAP dude, I think that is unprecedented. I've never heard of that happening, usually the people doing that form their own private lobby, team up, and then go public and unleash on the poor uncoordinated randoms that join their game.

They flipped it around, annoying but hilarious in its own way. :)

There are groups of people out there who keep an eye on the active servers list, specifically the ones that have 4 or more that were private, but went public.

Basically anti pub stomping stomping. Seems people will do -anything- to ruin someone else's game.

The day we cease to have good single player games is the day I stop gaming. No offense to anyone, but I find most people who I meet in online games to be utter morons with no concept of how to play a game without acting like they are children. I don't care if its consoles or the "superior" online of the PC, I run into too many of these people to care about online play.

The day we cease to have good single player games is the day I stop gaming. No offense to anyone, but I find most people who I meet in online games to be utter morons with no concept of how to play a game without acting like they are children. I don't care if its consoles or the "superior" online of the PC, I run into too many of these people to care about online play.

I feel the same exact way. Especially growing up playing with single player rpgs. With multiplayer games taking over, and seeing less single player rpgs these days, I just don't game that much as I used to before.

Yes, single player is dead. Now if you excuse me, I have to go back to playing Arkham Asylum.

....hey, wait a minute...

I know Uncharted 2 is supposed to be amazing and I'm sure Modern Warfare 2 is going to be really good but man, Batman Arkham Asylum was so great. If it isn't my GOTY then that only means something even more awesome came along, which I'm ok with! :)

Arkham Asylum proves how great a single player gaming experience can be. I prefer single player.

I'm getting pickier with SP games as I get older, or losing attention span or what--what was I talking about? :D

Actually I still like both. Never played online MP games until I found EVE and it's quite enjoyable.

If single player gaming dies, then I will cease to game. I am certainly not buying a game that becomes useless once the community dies or moves to a newer game.

If single player gaming dies, then I will cease to game. I am certainly not buying a game that becomes useless once the community dies or moves to a newer game.

Chombo, are you still on dial-up? (I remember you said that in another post)

I would like to argue that I support single-player gaming, but I have to admit, if they only remade Tribes with better visuals over and over I would totally pay a monthly fee. :(

Back