• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is SATA plug-and-play like IDE?

jamezzz122

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 1, 2003
Messages
4,539
I have always used IDE and was thinking of switching over to SATA since the cables are so small and I am plannin gon a new HDD anyways. Do I need additional drivers or anything to use SATA? My motherboard is an Abit IC7. Also how does SATA and IDE compare performance wise?
 
I had to use drivers when I built mine and installed windows, but I don't know what it'd do if you were just adding it extra. And to me Sata seems to be a noticable bit faster.
 
You will most likely need the drivers if you reinstall Windows on it. Otherwise it's just like an IDE drive.
 
S1nF1xx said:
You will most likely need the drivers if you reinstall Windows on it. Otherwise it's just like an IDE drive.


And SATA is hot swappable :D done it many times with mine.
 
So if I am going to have Windows on it, I can install after Windows is installed? Or do I need to go get a floppy and etc.
 
You need to get the drivers for your SATA controller and put them on a floppy. Then during the Windows installation when it first pops up the blue screen, it will say at the bottom to press F6 if you need to install a third party storage driver. You hit F6 and then let it read the drivers off of your floppy.

That's about it. It's exactly like installing Windows on a SCSI hard drive.
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
You need to get the drivers for your SATA controller and put them on a floppy. Then during the Windows installation when it first pops up the blue screen, it will say at the bottom to press F6 if you need to install a third party storage driver. You hit F6 and then let it read the drivers off of your floppy.

That's about it. It's exactly like installing Windows on a SCSI hard drive.

Woot...TY...

One thing, I have no floppy drive...Could I put my USB drive to work?
 
I think I somehow loaded it off the CD. I had my boot order changed and loaded the drivers first, and then loaded windows. That's what I think happened, because I really don't know what I did, I just know that windows works now.
 
Just slipstream the drivers into your XP CD and while your there you might aswell put XP SP2 and hotfixes in there.

Look for a peice of software called XP create.
 
Back
Top