Is Samsung Working On A Surface Pro Rival?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
While the Surface Pro is a great device, I don’t like its display too much. Sure, the resolution and clarity is there, but my personal experience has led me to believe that every unit falls victim to awful backlight bleeding and trapped specks under the screen. I have waited and waited for Microsoft to release an AMOLED version as a potential solution, which hasn’t happened yet―but it looks like Samsung may be up to the task.

Details on the device are thin on the ground with the same leaker suggesting a 12-inch Super Amoled display complete with 2,560 x 1,600 or 3,840 x 2,400 resolution. Under the hood we can expect an Intel Core 'M' processor and 4GB of memory. The S-Pen is an additional extra and the tablet weighs in at 600g (1.3 pounds) with a thickness of just 6.2mm (0.24 inches).

An AMOLED screen large Windows tablet would be nice. I can't say that I've had any major issues with backlight bleed on my SP3 and I haven't heard any complaints about specks getting under the screen. That used to be a notorious issue for some Windows tablets were there was plenty of space between the glass and the screen. The SP3 and S3 bond the glass and screen to help reduce parallax with inking. I thought the previous Surface Pros did that also.

There's been a lot of talk about larger productivity focused tablets, in particular the rumored 12.9" iPad "Pro". While tablet sales have basically flat lined there's been solid growth in larger productivity 2 in 1 hybrid devices. While a much smaller market than the cheapo tablet market the margins are much better and there is market growth. Samsung's been out of the Windows tablet business for a while. They do have the large Android Galaxy Note 12 that has a number of nice features but given its price and Android, it's really not a true 2 in 1 productivity machine and doesn't look like it's been any match for the x86 Surface line.

I have a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2, and if that bad boy was running Windows, it would be the perfect device. If anyone can build a viable Surface Pro alternative, it will be Samsung. I hope these rumors turn out to be true.

They better release it soon otherwise an SP4 is what I'll be getting.

I hope so. Been wanting a Windows SAMOLED pen based hybrid and even Galaxy Note for the benefit of interchangeable pen. Just hoping it's 13"+ with fanless Skylake CPU.

Having used a Surface Pro 3 a few times, I was pretty unimpressed with it. It was basically just another laptop, but compromised in functionality because of the need to meet the whole tablet form factor idea. It wasn't bad or anything, just mediocre and uninspired rather than innovative or interesting. I guess it felt a lot more "taped together" as far as the merger between hardware and software was concerned than even fairly inexpensive laptops or competing iPads and the only thing really to its advantage was the x86 CPU. I just don't think competition in a market segment that's already saturated with products and is generating little buyer interest is really gonna benefit Samsung's bottom line much. They're better off focusing on making better quality devices in their current markets and maybe reconsidering that whole advertising thing-y that's coming.

While the Surface Pro is a great device, I don’t like its display too much. Sure, the resolution and clarity is there, but my personal experience has led me to believe that every unit falls victim to awful backlight bleeding and trapped specks under the screen. I have waited and waited for Microsoft to release an AMOLED version as a potential solution, which hasn’t happened yet―but it looks like Samsung may be up to the task.

Details on the device are thin on the ground with the same leaker suggesting a 12-inch Super Amoled display complete with 2,560 x 1,600 or 3,840 x 2,400 resolution. Under the hood we can expect an Intel Core 'M' processor and 4GB of memory. The S-Pen is an additional extra and the tablet weighs in at 600g (1.3 pounds) with a thickness of just 6.2mm (0.24 inches).
6.2mm thickness sounds dubious. That's thinner than any of Samsung's phones, the S6 is 6.8mm, the S-pen equipped Note 5 is 7.6mm and the Note Pro 12.2 is 8mm thick. I would have serious concerns about durability, the tiniest drop or flex and that thing is toast. I'm disappointed that they're only including 4GB RAM, which is one of the most common complaints about the Surface Pro line.

Considering the glass on the SP3 is fused to the LCD, I'm not quite sure where you're getting this "specs under the glass" stuff from, if there are specs they must have been there when it was assembled in the factory...in which case whoever bought a defective model and chose to keep it is of questionable intelligence.

Build quality on all of my SP's (1, 2, 3) has been very good to outstanding, with the SP3 being the best of the bunch. Screen is gorgeous, the 3:2 aspect ratio makes sense (16:9 is terrible for anything but movies), no dust specs after over a year of use, excellent color space, good brightness. There is some backlight bleed, but I guess I just don't stare at a blank screen enough to give a f*#&.

Have I mentioned how wonderful the 3:2 aspect ratio is? It's awesome. Unbelievably, incredibly, awesome after having to deal with 16:9 tablets for years. Makes more sense in landscape, makes more sense in portrait. 3:2 AR is one of my top feature requirements in a productivity tablet from here on out, and I wish it were available in conventional laptops as well. It's not something you notice using a SP3 for a few minutes in Bestbuy, but when multi-tasking and in day to day use, you get so much more usable screen real estate compared to a 16:9 screen, it's my second favorite aspect of the SP3 (behind x86 support).

Having used a Surface Pro 3 a few times, I was pretty unimpressed with it. It was basically just another laptop, but compromised in functionality because of the need to meet the whole tablet form factor idea. It wasn't bad or anything, just mediocre and uninspired rather than innovative or interesting. I guess it felt a lot more "taped together" as far as the merger between hardware and software was concerned than even fairly inexpensive laptops or competing iPads and the only thing really to its advantage was the x86 CPU. I just don't think competition in a market segment that's already saturated with products and is generating little buyer interest is really gonna benefit Samsung's bottom line much. They're better off focusing on making better quality devices in their current markets and maybe reconsidering that whole advertising thing-y that's coming.

To each his own. As far as mobile x86 devices Microsoft seems to have a hit in the Surface Pro 3 and the Surface 3 seems be doing well also. I think the notion that the Surface line has generated little buyer interest files in the face of fact. The 2 in 1 device category is the only one in the PC space that's seeing any growth, indeed the desktop and laptop space are contracting.

I've had my Surface Pro 3 since November and it's one of the nicest PCs I've ever owned. I've seen a number out in the world and a couple people at work that have them and they love them. It's a niche category mostly due to the price but at least some people do seem to be willing to pay for them.

Have I mentioned how wonderful the 3:2 aspect ratio is? It's awesome. Unbelievably, incredibly, awesome after having to deal with 16:9 tablets for years. Makes more sense in landscape, makes more sense in portrait. 3:2 AR is one of my top feature requirements in a productivity tablet from here on out, and I wish it were available in conventional laptops as well. It's not something you notice using a SP3 for a few minutes in Bestbuy, but when multi-tasking and in day to day use, you get so much more usable screen real estate compared to a 16:9 screen, it's my second favorite aspect of the SP3 (behind x86 support).

The 3:2 aspect ratio was probably the smartest move Microsoft made in the Surface line.

No problems with BL bleed on my SP3. Love the screen. What I love about it is the accessories - for a basic photo editing and general work device, it's excellent. Especially if paired with a docking station.

If Samsung wants to grab a piece of it, they'll need to meet those demands.

I would be happy if someone would come out with one that was a full blown x86 with windows but only ran 1080p max resolution to lower the cost of the thing. I don't find these crazy resolutions on a tablet useful in the least. Sub 15" screens for me at least don't do anything but drain performance that could be better put to use elsewhere. If I want huge resolutions, I want it on a machine that is doing actual work. If they want to have some high end models for those who don't mind dropping $1k+, more power to them. Just release a model for those of us wanting to compliment out laptop/desktop.

I would be happy if someone would come out with one that was a full blown x86 with windows but only ran 1080p max resolution to lower the cost of the thing. I don't find these crazy resolutions on a tablet useful in the least. Sub 15" screens for me at least don't do anything but drain performance that could be better put to use elsewhere. If I want huge resolutions, I want it on a machine that is doing actual work. If they want to have some high end models for those who don't mind dropping $1k+, more power to them. Just release a model for those of us wanting to compliment out laptop/desktop.

Pixel count is cheap. Mid-range phones have 1080p screens. It's not costing Microsoft anything extra to have a 3:2 custom format screen built in 2160x1440 vs 1920x1280 resolution. Now, I'm sure the 3:2 custom format screen carries a premium from their supplier because it's the only thing that uses such an aspect ratio...but 26% extra pixels they probably threw in for free.

Pixel count is cheap. Mid-range phones have 1080p screens. It's not costing Microsoft anything extra to have a 3:2 custom format screen built in 2160x1440 vs 1920x1280 resolution. Now, I'm sure the 3:2 custom format screen carries a premium from their supplier because it's the only thing that uses such an aspect ratio...but 26% extra pixels they probably threw in for free.
The hardware performance to drive higher resolutions isn't free. I would far rather have lower resolution and higher performance for the money. My phone is way above 1080p as well and while ok in some things, it absolutely chugs in others as a result and I hate it. It's absolutely stupid on a 4.7" screen. Anyhow my point being is that as lower resolution model could use a slightly cheaper panel and slightly lower hardware for the same or better performance. This would be aimed squarely at users like me who want a pure work device for applications where anything above 1080 on that size screen is really just unnecessary.

As long as they put a good digitizer on it I'm kinda interested. That being said I'm really waiting for the SP4 right now. My 3rd gen i7 macbook is showing its age and I need to replace it with something.

I haven't kept up with others products as of late but I remember the early dell answer to the surface pro or the pro 2(can't remember) didn't have as good of a digitizer in it which really hurt its performance. It would be nice to see more good competition in this area.

Samsung has always put S Pen aka Wacom pen digitizers in its Windows tablets and there's little doubt that it would for a new Windows tablet of this size and probable cost.

I don't think I'll ever get another Samsung product outside their SSD's. I hate their specific applications, which are usually rip offs and poorly coded. Competition is good and all but I'll be sticking with my Surface Pro for now.

I still haven't seen a AMOLED screen that does not suffer from burn in within a year or less, even the TVs. Not falling for that again.

All it needs to be is a bit cheaper and they'll have a winner on their hands.

Back