Is RHCT worth it?

What up [H]ard?

I've been running linux for about 5 years now both on desktops and servers with most of my experience being Ubuntu workstations and cENT OS servers. At work I only have to support Windows XP clients but I feel I'm ready to make the jump to the Server Operations side and wanted to get some feedback on the RHCT cert. Would I be better off going straight for the RHCE or should I focus on getting the RHCT and moving in to the spot and then going from there? Anyone here RHCT?

:confused:

take the 300 series class, it's a good refresher for linux in general and they'll also introduce you more to redhat nuances. I'd pursue it first as you'll also learn the testing structure.

I've never been a hardcore Linux guru but I took the RHCE/RHCT prep course and passed the RHCT exam quite easily. The RHCE is one of those exams that is intentionally "tricky" but not necessarily hard. From personal experience I recommend doing them one at a time unless you live and breathe Red Hat Enterprise Linux on a daily basis.

I never went back for the RHCE due to my desire to focus more on network engineering and went on to a CCNP instead.

I have been looking into getting some certs and compiled the following list from an infoworld survey of average compensation for those with certifications.

salary.jpg

I am currently working on my MCITP Enterprise Administrator, and then plan on CCNA and maybe the Red Hat one if I have time (highly doubt it). Also, I feel that virtualization is only going to become increasingly desired as time goes by.

In what fantasy world does a CCNA wireless make $94k? That chart is pretty high even if those people are experienced.

Back on topic. . . I guess Linux certs could be good if that's what you wanted to do and learn. Simply using Linux for a variety of things is a learning experience itself so any certs shouldn't be too hard if you're a pretty proficient user.

Keep in mind that chart does not reflect all of the respondents certifications/experience, just what their average total compensation was. Someone may have a CCIE and a CCNA Wireless and make $200k and that would easily bring up the average for CCNA Wireless. As far as the money is concerned, a I agree it seems a little high, although somewhat realistic for the Northeast.

Wow, those salaries are high- the must be based on somewhere where the cost of living is high since in the midwest (perhaps excluding chi-town) you can probably chop 30% off those numbers then be close.

Who knew my CCSA was worth so much... lol

After some recent changes at work, I'm gonna try to get my MCITP: Server Administrator cert.

Step 1 will be building a ESX 4i Lab to run VMs on.

After some recent changes at work, I'm gonna try to get my MCITP: Server Administrator cert.

Step 1 will be building a ESX 4i Lab to run VMs on.
I used VirtualBox from sun. I prefer working with that more than esx/vmware.

It had all the functionality I needed to test things out.

Regarding the RHCT; if you have a spare 400 bucks and half a day to play with, go for it. Having more letters after your name can only help.

Back