Is Retinal Projection finally here?

Youn

Supreme [H]ardness
I just saw this kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/avegantglyph/a-mobile-personal-theater-with-built-in-premium-au

I've been waiting for something like this for a while. It's my understanding that this type of projection (we shouldn't call it a display, right?) would bypass any innacuracy of the eye's lens, meaning anyone with working retinas can see a perfectly clear image? Or at least, moreso than if they had to wear glasses.

Anyways, this is more a general discussion on the tech behind this. Are there other developments coming to the markets, anyone here experience it first-hand, is it the future for gaming/movies and privacy (for mobile, google glass-like devices, etc...)

Thoughts?

Needs larger field of view and (therefore) higher res. Something like this with a FoV large enough so that you can look all the way left/right/up/down and still all you see is "screen" seems like the end game for displays, short of something that jacks straight into your central nervous system.

What would you need for that? Just stupidly massive DLP chips? Retina tracking and a DLP chip that moves to compensate?

At first I thought it was like the Oculus, except (maybe) better, but really it's like the Sony HMZ except (maybe) better (and cheaper). Which makes me not interested in this particular item, but interested to see if it goes anywhere.

Back