Is Ram at 500 1:1 better than 500 4:5? (C2D)

horaciocs

n00b
Hi all!

I am trying to put together a nicely overclocked C2D system and still stick to a budget. However, I intend to run my ram at 500mhz.
Finding a mothermoard able to reach 500mhz fsb stable that fits my budget (~$170) has been quite tough and I am about to give up on my search. Therefore I ask you:

What is the performance difference between running ram at 500mhz (500x1) at 1:1 and running it at 4:5 (400x1.25)?

Consider same clock speeds for the CPU, since I'm probably getting a e4300 and juggling with it's multi (9x-7x)

Thanks,

Horacio

So, you either want to run your E4300 at 7x500=3.5Ghz (for example) with the RAM also running at 500Mhz giving you a 1:1 ratio. Or, at 9x400=3.6Ghz with the RAM running at 500Mhz with a 1:1.25 ratio, correct?

Personally, i would do a simple 3.6Ghz overclock, like the one i mentioned above, and run the RAM in sync. with the FSB, with some cheap PC2 6400 RAM.

The Asus P5B Deluxe might get you to a 500Mhz FSB, if it can't then i don't know what can.

Is Ram at 500 1:1 better than 500 4:5? (C2D)

yes, as no extra wait states/buffering will be used during memory access.

Kinda think you are going about it the wrong way tho, memory speed is not as important in the C2Ds as previous generations of processors. Get the highest cpu speed you can with decent temps at lowest mulit x highest FSB combination. etc. and let the ram fall where it will at 1:1 .

500 x 7 = 3.5GHz is going to be a real challenge without fancy cooling.
400 x 8 = 3.2GHz seems more likely based on reports of what the 4300 will do and makes the MB choice easy and PC6400 will be in spec and you can get 444 sticks instead of 555 so you have more room to loosen memory timings if you do happen to get an exceptional core that will go higher.

see the overclocking database threads in the Intel cpu forum.

I probally missed your point entirely, something doesnt sound right or I just dont get it. Feel free to ignore me :D

The newest revision of the Gigabyte DS3s are supposed to hit 500+ reliably, with no mods needed. One of your main differences of running the FSB at, or near 400mhz vs 500mhz is going to be the different chipset strap. You may well get better memory bandwidth at a lower fsb using the divider but, overall, your best performance will be at the highest 1:1 OC you can get as noted above.

Mike, I hadn't thought about the different straps, do you guys think this will make some difference? Btw, I never really knew what they really meant, anyway, can any of you please explain it to me?

I don't have an uber technicall explanation but, in a nutshell the chipset strap is a set of operating parameters and latencies in the bios that determine the operating speed (North Bridge Core Clock or speed) of the NB chipset, aka memory controller hub,etc. When you raise the speed of the chipset going up from the 1066 strap to the 1333 strap, the chipset is running faster but it also has higher latencies. So, it's like clocking memory in some cases. You get more mhz but at higher latencies so, the extra speed may not directly translate into more performance.

Back