• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Is overclocking this easy?

candyraver

n00b
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
61
Hi, I've read alot of threads here and finally came to buy a Asus P5B Deluxe and a Intel E6400 and Corsairs xms2 6400 (c5)

This machine rocks! I just built it yesterday but I could not keep my hands off some basic overclocking

Here is the screenshot

http://i10.tinypic.com/3y6x4di.jpg


I know orthos not have been running for 10 hours and my temps are alittle too high - not dangerous high though,'

Anyway, I wanted to see if I could reach 2.8ghz witch really was my goal

Here is my settings

Stock Cooler
FSB: 350
Memoryspeed: Auto I think
Bumped up the Memory to 2.1V
NB: 1.25

That's it! - Is it really this easy? I've read so many threads with problems..
 
It really is that easy. Where most run into problems is when they try for really hi O/C's like in you case 3.4+ghz
 
Hehe...

Now I'm excited, I got 3200mhz this morning by upping the CPU Cvore to 1.3v and CPU-FSB to 400. And Im still under 60c under load. This processor/motherboard combination is priceless!
 
You can get a BigThypoon yo lower the temps... this cooler is the greatest!

If you are getting these clocks with the stock cooler, then imagine where you will be with the other one :)
 
^ Nope...get a Mach II and have it modded. Imagine where you will be with this one!! heheheh.. ;)

And yes...it is that easy.
 
what's your ambient temp? those are pretty good temps.

I get 51c after 6 1/2 hours of Orthos load @ 3336mhz.

my ambient is around ~23C.
 
Go get yourself a better heatsink and crack up that FSB!!!

Scythe and Tuniq both make excellent coolers for under or around $60. I can Guarantee that if you get either the Scythe Infinity or Tuniq Tower120 (though I don't know if it fits the conroe or just AMD chips), that your temps will drop at least 5C if not probably 10C or more.
 
candyraver said:
Hehe...

Now I'm excited, I got 3200mhz this morning by upping the CPU Cvore to 1.3v and CPU-FSB to 400. And Im still under 60c under load. This processor/motherboard combination is priceless!

yup, another paduwan seduced by the dark side :cool:
 
This is too much...

Overclocked 1.1Ghz and still staying cool with stock cooling!!! And stable, so very stable!, people that buy a C2D and not do any overclocking is missing something here!!!

How can people fail overclocking this CPU? I guess they spend too little money on the PSU/Motherboard. Hey man its worth it if you can OC 1.1Ghz and do SuperPI in less than 18sec's

I will get a new cpu cooler soon to make my 3200mhz cooled, nice and quiet. But first I need to replace my PSU since its noicy like an vacumcleaner
 
Shoot for SuperPi 1M to finish in under 15s and you've got a beast on your hands ;).

But yep, when people say, "I"m buying a conroe, and I'm not overclocking" I immediately ignore the thread :D
 
The older Northwood's are amazing for OCing as well.
I got mine from 2.4 stock to 3.4 on air with very little stability issues.
 
Arcygenical said:
Shoot for SuperPi 1M to finish in under 15s and you've got a beast on your hands ;).

But yep, when people say, "I"m buying a conroe, and I'm not overclocking" I immediately ignore the thread :D

Haha yeah the Core2Duo is just begging for being clocked! I got 18s in SuperPi 1M, thats good what I've read. My PC at work, P4 duo takes more than a 1 minute :p
 
candyraver said:
Haha yeah the Core2Duo is just begging for being clocked! I got 18s in SuperPi 1M, thats good what I've read. My PC at work, P4 duo takes more than a 1 minute :p

I knew I had to upgrade when my laptop beat my X2 3800... What are your RAM timings at? Going from 5-5-5-15 to 4-5-4-14 helped shave a full second off my superPi times... Nothing great for real-life performance (so, choose CPU speed over RAM timings obviously) but it's great for benchmarks, and squeezing the last drop of power out of your setup when your chip's to it's max.

For the reference, I went from 15.31s to 13.93s by changing my RAM speeds @ 3.4ghz. In 3Dmark, however, I scored higher at 5-5-5-15 @ 3.55ghz than with a slower CPU and faster RAM.
 
Arcygenical said:
I knew I had to upgrade when my laptop beat my X2 3800... What are your RAM timings at? Going from 5-5-5-15 to 4-5-4-14 helped shave a full second off my superPi times... Nothing great for real-life performance (so, choose CPU speed over RAM timings obviously) but it's great for benchmarks, and squeezing the last drop of power out of your setup when your chip's to it's max.

For the reference, I went from 15.31s to 13.93s by changing my RAM speeds @ 3.4ghz. In 3Dmark, however, I scored higher at 5-5-5-15 @ 3.55ghz than with a slower CPU and faster RAM.

Sounds interesting, I have no idea what my RAM timings is, it's paired xms2 6400c5 that I believe is set to 5-5-5-12-T1 by auto in bios. But I have not played with it yet. But as you see my screenshot in my first post the timings there is not what they are suppose to be.

Memtest86 ran for 1 hour without any errors, that's good.

I did not think timing of the memory did such an improvement. Will play some more :)
 
I Know, its just nuts.

My 680i and E6300 managed to reach 3.25 GHz (up from 1.86). I cannot tell you how pleased I am with this overclock. Its enough to put me on the OC boards, but not enough to put me in top 10. But in my opinion, Spending $209 on the CPU and $340 on the mobo, and getting a $1300 cpu, was WELL worth it. Yes this thing does out score, in many areas, the X6800. The extra L2 the X6800 makes little differance.

I was able to get it to Boot stable, and ran orthos for a few mins, just to make sure the voltage I gave it was enough to ensure stabillity through load. Temps were getting a little high, 50-60 Degs. the 680i mobo is a juice guzzling, heat releasing monster. But look at that OC man! look at it! SLI too! my CPu + 8800GTS makes me one happy man!

I just ordered a Thermalright Ultra 120 and Antec Green LED 120mm fan. Its probibly not nessicary, but its good to have some thermal head room. The stock intel HS/f really really does suck. I was thinking about trying to get my friend to give me his stock Atholon X2 cooler (those things rock man, heatpipes, a powerful fan) and try to mod it to fit. No such luck.

I think thats the reason there is no X6900. The intel stock HS/f sucks so much. :p
 
RAM timings are delays in the ram between different cycles it takes. By making the timings tighter (aka, numbers smaller) you are making the gap between the different parts smaller. This often makes the RAM less tolerant to overclocking, but often yields a bit of a performance gain in benchmark tests like SuperPI. Making the timings looser (numbers bigger) you are making that gap bigger. This usually makes the RAM a little more tolerant to increased clock speeds, but also slows down your a RAM a good bit. However, the only RAM timing that really bares a lot of weight on performance is the CAS timing and that is often for DDR1 a 2 or a 3 and for DDR2 a 4, 5 or maybe even a 6 (maybe even higher, but I have never seen it). Changing that is usually what makes the RAM more or less stable with increased speed, though the other settings have a minor effect on clock tolerance as well. Also, sometime you will not be able to even boot a computer if the CAS timing is to high or too low, in this case you should change it back to the last setting that it would boot. The best method for testing RAM stability when changing timings is MemTest86. It is a bootable program that you must boot into instead of windows but is small so it fits on a CD, if you can pass a few rounds of this without any errors you are usually good to continue overclocking at those settings.

::EDIT::

read this
http://eclipseoc.com/index.php?id=6,51,0,0,1,0
 
yeah cf eclipse has a good oc guide.

but yeah, doesnt so much make the differant parts run faster. Its adresses. Row Adress Selection (RAS), Column Adress Selection (CAS), etc. Ram is like a grid. well, F this, How it works explains it better. if your really interested go search "RAM" on www.howstuffworks.com
 
Artik2 said:
You can get a BigThypoon yo lower the temps... this cooler is the greatest!

If you are getting these clocks with the stock cooler, then imagine where you will be with the other one :)
ah i have a big typhoon.. not exactly the best. it technically is the best, but the bottom has a TERRIBLE finish to it, and i didnt have any supplies to lap it so mine doesnt get the best temps.. and also, its rediculously huge so it can be hard to get those itsy bitsy screws on sometimes.. aaaand i just got my watercooling gear all set up and i'm yanking out my typhoon once and for all!
 
Tightening any of the timings are going to net you any better performance out of superPi and SISandra...

Might as well if you can, but you're by no means losing anything by not doing it.
 
Arcygenical said:
Tightening any of the timings are going to net you any better performance out of superPi and SISandra...

Might as well if you can, but you're by no means losing anything by not doing it.


That is not necessarily true. Only some of the RAM timings effect the score you get on SuperPI. I played with it for the longest time and I found the biggest increases to come from the CAS latencies, Trfc latencies, and some benefit from the Tras Latencies (I'm talking 10ths of seconds with the Tras though, but it doesn't seem to hinder overclockability like the CAS and RAS do.) Just be careful with the Trfc timings though, if they go to low, your system may seem stable for a while and then suddenly it will crash, it seems to make your RAM very unstable if you make it too low. For my DDR1 Corsair XMS DDR400 RAM I can lower it to about 14 without seeing any issues and it shaves a good half second off PI.
 
My memorytimings is 4-4-4-12, I think that's the best I get. If i set them manually, p5b wont post.
 
Hi, I've read alot of threads here and finally came to buy a Asus P5B Deluxe and a Intel E6400 and Corsairs xms2 6400 (c5)

This machine rocks! I just built it yesterday but I could not keep my hands off some basic overclocking

Here is the screenshot

http://i10.tinypic.com/3y6x4di.jpg


I know orthos not have been running for 10 hours and my temps are alittle too high - not dangerous high though,'

Anyway, I wanted to see if I could reach 2.8ghz witch really was my goal

Here is my settings

Stock Cooler
FSB: 350
Memoryspeed: Auto I think
Bumped up the Memory to 2.1V
NB: 1.25

That's it! - Is it really this easy? I've read so many threads with problems..

I can run my E6400 to 3290 on all stock voltages stock cooling and stock memory timings and that was easy but now I am pushing into the 3700-3800 MHz territory it is no longer easy the road ahead is now strange and scary looking and all my friends have been left far behind. :eek:
 
Back
Top