Is OCing worth it?

For my tuppence worth.......I use the Gigabyte 'Easy Tune' to do my overclocking, because I am not too experienced with actually messing with the settings in the BIOS.
So my CPU is running at 3Ghz, and has been for a month or so since I decided to try it out.
Does anyone else use their motherboard tuning software, or do you always adjust all the settings yourself ?

or do you always adjust all the settings yourself ?

That would be the one I do. Keep the voltages the same and start bu bumping up the whatever base clock the cpu is using..

My machine seems happy enough using the software overclocking...........I just have to hit which o/c button I fancy and let it reboot.
I have not tried the highest setting yet........3.2Ghz, but I might in a month or so after seeing if this 3Ghz setting remains stable.
The CPU volts (3Ghz) at 1.312v - according to the software readout.
I would like to try the settings in the BIOS, but changing one setting has an affect on everything else, and I fear that I could get into a whole heap of trouble, as I am no where near as experienced as you chaps/chapesses....
Mind you, thank goodness for the dual BIOS on this board as I guess they could get me out of the poo real quick.....:D
So I guess for the real novice, the software choice is the easy way....:cool:

I do not find it overly worth it. I read a lot of benchmarks and they generally do not translate into real world noticeable differences in most cases.

Free performance is ALWAYS "worth" it.

Question is...is the added heat/power/stress going above a certain CPU speed worth it.

I went from 4.5 to 4.25 to 4ghz and noticed not a lick of difference. In doing so, I have lowered my vcore and temps.

There is a point where there is diminishing returns with applications that you run, find that point and enjoy your "free" cpu speed :)

Back