Is Norton Ghost 14 useful for ghost at all?

Sayth

Gawd
I bought Norton ghost 14 for my work to simply do what I used to do with Ghost back about 4 years ago... pop in the diskette, boot from it and select ghost disk1 to image on disk2 or directly to disk2.

Instead I get some POS backup utility I have to INSTALL for backing up my documents and my computer program files. I boot from the CD only to get the option to recover my computer from an image. No option to "GHOST" the drive to another drive, to an FTP server, NOTHING.

Am I understanding this right or am I an idiot and not able to figure out how to use the program. If this is the limit of Norton GHOST then they should call it Norton Backup Utility or something more appropriate. Do I really need to Install this thing on EVERY computer I need to create an image on?

This is why I avoid symantec at all costs on the anti-virus front.

I liked the simplicity of the older versions of Ghost too. The latest version I use is Ghost 2002 and it still does the basic job of cloning. More recent versions of Ghost are total fail.

Seagate DiskWizard (by Acronis) is pretty awesome for a free package, as long as you have a Seagate or Maxtor drive installed.

Unfortunately we use mainly Dell GX series which ship with whatever HDD is cheapest at the time it is built. Hitachi, Fujitsu, Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, whatever saves them money. I if I ever have a chance to, Ill try to use that utility.

I currently use G4U, but it's too complicated for some of the old-timer techs to figure out. Especially since it doesn't work well with our Dells. each command has to be typed perfectly or you have to start over because the backspace and arrow keys don't map properly.

Clonezilla.org is worth a look too. I use it to close our machine via external usb drive. If you have a wired network you can even clone to and from a network drive. Clonezilla is open source.

Yeah from what I'm getting at the symantec forums is that you need to buy the Ghost Solution Suite in order to do what I need it for because what I bought was the consumer edition only good for imaging one single computer due to licensing issues. Ahhh I hate Symantec.

Clonezilla is great for me, but again the old-timers want a nice easy gui (really just 1 guy who is my superior). the menu system in clonezilla last time I used it was very complicated. I found G4U much more straight forward to use.

I am thinking acronis may have been a better choice. A well, not my money spent right?

Thanks

Back