Is networking the right career path for me?

nododgy

n00b
Hi all. Hopefully my post count won't affect the amount of responses I get.

With the birth of my son a few weeks ago, I really started thinking about how I need to start moving towards a career. Something I probably should have done some time ago, but that is the past and I can't really change that now. Here's a bit about me so you know what you're dealing with(skip to the bold if you want to avoid the wall of text):

I've always had an interest in computers. I know a little bit in several areas. I've done a little bit of website design, graphic design, and taken a c++ class(and basic, I believe, before that). I've built several computers, and done some minor troubleshooting for the computer-illiterate people in my family and at work. Everything that I have done related to computers has been for personal interest/learning experience(outside of the classes, which were awhile ago when I was in college the first time). I would describe myself as knowing more than the average person, but less than the average person who might frequent this message board. During my last attempt at college, I decided to pursue a Network Management degree from the local County College. I made it through my first year without actually being taught anything, or learning anything new. This wasn't because I already had the knowledge, but because the teachers didn't seem to have any interest in teaching. I didn't end up returning the following year due to frustration and lack to money to pay for school.

My friend is currently a Network Management student at a different college, with a personal interest in it as well. Between him talking about networking, and the suggestions from a CCIE I know through LAN parties, I've been considering trying to move forward towards a career in Networking.

Condensed about me:
  • 24, Engaged, newborn son, delivering pizza
  • Casual interest in computers, not too much knowledge
  • Working full time, and raising a kid so time is sparse but manageable(as is money)
  • Better than average math skills(or atleast they were when I had to do math)
  • I enjoy troubleshooting, being challenged, and working hard.
  • Calm, cool head when dealing with problems and people

Basically, what I want to know is:
  • What education is required/suggested to start a career, and where do most progress from there?
  • What is involved in the most common Networking careers(one of the main reasons I haven't pursued it yet... I don't know what they do)?
  • Is the current job market overcrowded(I live in NJ, if that helps at all)?
  • Is there usually potential for advancement in position/wages?
  • What kind of personal skills are advantageous to have?

Thanks for your time, hope to see some responses. If anything is unclear, I'll gladly answer any questions. Trying to deal with a major lack of sleep due to the baby, so my head's a bit fuzzy.

You have to truly love computers or have a passion for technology rather than just, "meh I play with computers a lot, I helped grandma and well damnit, it sure does pay me a lot of money." You will eventually get tired of it and end up hating your job. You have to really LOVE it. I'm serious about this. You do not want to make a career out of something that will make you hate Sunday nights. I see it all the time, people who think they will go into IT cuz it pays good, they helped grandma and grandpa and built a website or two. Just a FYI :) Hope you find what you truly want to do in life.

I agree - if you are just dabbling in it then it seems you don't have much interest in it and will hate it in ages years.

You have to find out what you love to do and then find out how to get paid for it. I love getting angry, that's why I became a network admin.

Take the first semester of the CCNA course at a local community college.
If you hate that class you will hate networking.
If you love it, you are on your way.

I echo the sentiments above. IT is a very intense and changing field. The people who do it for a living LOVE it, and I mean love it outside of an 8-5 work day. You would be competing with those types of people for jobs.

I'm doing IT work right now at a small company and I love it. I don't get cranky when I go to work because I like solving the problems that await me. I've been a hardcore computer geek my whole life, and I realized that IT is where I need to be. I'm not sure about the current job market, but the money can be good.

Are you the type of person who needs to be completely passionate about what they're doing? Or can you get by doing something you don't mind during your workday for a bit of extra cash for your kid?

All jobs suck. Go for one that pays the most. If you're going to hate it, you might as well make some money.

so what are you doing network wise? can you hook up someone's dsl or cable? What about their wireless router?

All I am really seeing is "I don't know what to do with myself, but my buddy has a good job, should I do that?"

Really I an not sure what to suggest. The computer field in general is not something you can BS your way into, regardless of certs. Most companies are going to want a proven track record and references.

You really need to get your foot in the door via some type of entry level tech support job and then grow into the position you want, assuming the company you choose allows opportunity for advancement.

Alternately you can consider starting a local tech support business and trying to grow it by word of mouth. Much harder probably, but may be more rewarding.

Whatever you do, it should be something that aligns with your interests, not something to try and see if you like it.

* What education is required/suggested to start a career, and where do most progress from there?
Personally I have no degree, but if I could start over I would have gone for a bachelors in network engineering or something similar. Certifications have been helpful. If you want to get into networking, I highly recommend you start looking into the CCNA.
* What is involved in the most common Networking careers(one of the main reasons I haven't pursued it yet... I don't know what they do)?
It can vary. You could end up at a large enterprise and only work in one area, say the actual network devices- Routers/Switches/Firewalls only. You could also be in a smaller shop that may require you to be a jack-of-all-trades. In that case you may handle the desktop support, servers, phones, network equipment, and any line of business software.
* Is the current job market overcrowded(I live in NJ, if that helps at all)?
Good question. For someone with no education, no certifications, and no experience, it will be difficult. Remember that it's more about WHO you know than WHAT you know. Maybe your friends who are in the IT field could help you land a job at their companies?
* Is there usually potential for advancement in position/wages?
The sky's the limit in networking. You'll probably start at $30k or so in a desktop support position, but as you advance you can make a lot more money. I know network engineers that make $40k and I know network engineers that make $250k(CCIE: Voice presales engineer). If you go the Cisco route, you will certainly make plenty of money to support your wife and child.
* What kind of personal skills are advantageous to have?
When you're first starting out, great customer service skills and a positive, willing-to-learn attitude will bring you far. At some point you'll probably move to back-end stuff and those skills wont matter as much anymore.

All jobs suck. Go for one that pays the most. If you're going to hate it, you might as well make some money.
True, but IT is one of the few jobs where they expect 24*7 with little to no compensation depending on the area you end up (server and network mostly).
I have friends in the medical field (doctors and nurses) and they are shocked at my hours and oncall rotations.
It's one thing to dislike a job 8-5, but it's another when it's 24*7.

Take the first semester of the CCNA course at a local community college.
If you hate that class you will hate networking.
If you love it, you are on your way.

This. I am a Comp Sci student at FSU and I started learning CCNA part time and I think it is just so cool how networking works from the way down low to the up high. Definitely look into CCNA, that could definitely set you on a good path.

Back