Is NAS this slow or am I doing it wrong??

skypine27

Gawd
So I just got a 32 TB WD PR4100 (4 x 8TB drives in Raid0)....

I'm trying to copy over my giant media library of 20TB from a USB 3.0 24 TB (2 x 12TB drives in Raid0) box to it. It's averaging 4-20 MB/s

Is this normal? I'm spitballing the limiting factors here....
1. USB 3.0 box to my PC
2. RJ45 cable from PC to Norton Core router
3. PR4100 to the Norton via RJ45 cable

So it's going to take like 9 days to copy 19 TB? Am I missing something here? Will this NAS even work ok playing 4K video files on my desktop PC?

My mobo has 2 x ethernet plugs. Is it possible to plug the NAS into one of those and speed things up, bypassing the Norton Router? Would this even effect the transfer speed?

Thx. Total NAS noob, never had one before just curious if I spent about 1700 bucks on an NAS box that wont even play 4K movies !

Stupid question, but you sure your plugged into a USB 3.0 slot on the PC, and it's able to transfer locally (PC to local storage) at USB3 speeds?

Question 2 - yes, you can bypass the router, just give both nics an address on the same subnet, but a different subnet than your other nic on the PC is running. (i.e. main network is 192.168.1.xxx, use 192.168.2.50 and 192.168.2.51 for your no-router network and direct connect)

Stupid question, but you sure your plugged into a USB 3.0 slot on the PC, and it's able to transfer locally (PC to local storage) at USB3 speeds?

Question 2 - yes, you can bypass the router, just give both nics an address on the same subnet, but a different subnet than your other nic on the PC is running. (i.e. main network is 192.168.1.xxx, use 192.168.2.50 and 192.168.2.51 for your no-router network and direct connect)

Thx for the suggestions.

I did notice the USB 3.0 box was actually plugged into a C-type USB 3.1 port on the mobo. The box is USB 3.0 only but I guess I used a 3.1 cable laying around in my junk drawer to hook it up. Downgraded to a regular USB 3.0 cable and am testing the large transfer now.

Might try skipping the router tomorrow if I wake up and its still really slow.

Last edited:
Yeah speeds your getting now would be consistent with a USB2 transfer, but who knows.

If it's a lot of little files - SMB transfer is really really slow at that, and that could be part of the issue to. You'll only see "max speed" once you can get to some contiguous large files.

I'd just try plugging the USB directly into the NAS and try that. Cut out as many links in the chain.

Would recommend something with parity so you don't lose the whole thing when a drive dies. Hopefully you'll keep your backups?
Ya I will keep the old USB box backup once the NAS has all the data. Though I dont update the old box as I collect new stuff (this is just a media/movie/smut collection so life goes on if a drive tanks!)

I'd just try plugging the USB directly into the NAS and try that. Cut out as many links in the chain.
Will definitely try this idea next and see how the speed goes. Thx

That’s why I gave up on my NAS. Big storage, clunky software, the speed is about averge which is not enough now days. Fuck it, I just copy shit to a portable SSD which gives pretty decent transfer rates.

I suppose the thunderbolt port would help a lot but that’s not widely supported.

I'm running my NAS in RAID 6, or Synology's version of it with 2 drive parity. I have been very pleased with their setups over the last 9 to 10 years I have used them. Yes they cost a bit more but once they are set up they are mostly hands off and work quite well. Over Ethernet bi directional transfers are about 70 MB/s with one direction at about 120 MB/s. I have two of the gigabit ports Bonded. I have never tried to transfer from USB directly to the unit or through my PC to the unit but I have never felt this set up was "slow". It is not designed for full on 4k playback but it has beefy enough internals to handle compressed .264 / .265 4k without any issues or pushing its components too hard.

It is not designed for full on 4k playback but it has beefy enough internals to handle compressed .264 / .265 4k without any issues or pushing its components too hard.

Well, ****. Thats what I wanted it for, fast video playback including skipping to various scenes in 4K uncompressed video. Is there a such thing as a 4 x drive USB 3.1 box to shove my 4 x 8TB drives in? I already got hosed on getting one of these a while back:
https://www.akitio.com/desktop-storage/nt2-u31

assuming (wrongly) that it would take 2 x 10TB drives. Didnt recognize them. Man Im good at wasting money. Should have maybe gotten this?
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series-rs6114v-overview.htm

Last edited:
Back