• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my woofer gone?

maverick786us

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
2,416
I purchased me Corsair SP 2500 speakers in November 2011. Which I don't realize is my wife accidentally placed the woofer in such a way that its front was completely covered by wall.

I am unable to hear any bass effect. Does it mean that the woofers are dead? I am able to hear music and other things clearly. But no bass, even when I set it to maximum.
 
I assume you moved it out and tried it (also ensuring all cables were connected properly) and you hear absolutely zero bass? Sounds dead to me, or there might be a fault with controller.

Sounds like you're outta the warranty period, too. Sucks.
 
Where can I locate it?

If it's an active sub it will have an amplifier panel and that usually has some sort of a fuse behind a screw-in cover or similar. If you're unlucky the fuse might be inside the enclosure.

With amplifiers there are multiple points of failure. The bad placement could have overheated your amp for example. Or if it sat there without use for a long time, the gain potentiometer (if it has one) or some other pot could have oxidized and silenced the sub.

The potentiometers are the easyest to fix usually, in easyest cases you can just remove the knob and spray contact spray to the root. If the pot itself is completely hidden inside the enclosure then you must again open the enclosure and spray the stuff directly in the pot.

Once you spray the contact spray you have to rotate the pots to max and closed repeatedly to spread the cleaner. Once you do that in most cases your pot will work like new again for some time.

If a pot is your problem, you can experiment (without opening your sub) by playing music and rotating all the knobs and controls in the sub repeatedly and quickly. If you get even short cracks of sound between the rotations, you have bad pots or switches. Do not, however, rotate the power switch quickly and repeatedly. That may kill your amp.
 
Holy Shit!! Looks like my woofers are back to live. All I did was, the program "Dynamic pop" was selected. I first changed it to stadium, the bass came back and the reverted to Dynamic pop the bass was still there.
 
Holy Shit!! Looks like my woofers are back to live. All I did was, the program "Dynamic pop" was selected. I first changed it to stadium, the bass came back and the reverted to Dynamic pop the bass was still there.

So you have a dirty switch, usually if some audio gear goes dead the first thing to do is play with all the controls. Roll knobs repeatedly, cycle switches.
 
So you have a dirty switch, usually if some audio gear goes dead the first thing to do is play with all the controls. Roll knobs repeatedly, cycle switches.

My woofers were dead for almost an year. Within this period I tried these controls, but nothing happened. Looks like soundcard could be the culprit. I was using ASUS Xonar DG, which had slightly better sound than the onboard sound. But couple of months ago I started using the default sound card.
 
Back
Top