• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my videocard dying?

Tilde84

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 2, 2006
Messages
136
Alright, well slowly but surely it seems like my video card is crapping the bed. In the past two weeks, games like UT3, Stalker and Farcry that have always ran smooth on my system, won't run anymore. On all three games, right after loading a level, the game freezes up and stutters between two frames every second or so with random scrambles/ boxes of static on the screen. Only after 15 seconds or so will I see another frozen image, then the image is scrambled with two frames in one. Is this my card slowly dying or another problem? I got the card in May 07 along with a 500W Enermax Liberty shortly after, any ideas:confused:? Thanks
 
Possibly a number of things

1) too hot
2) too highly clocked
3) graphics card faulty
4) PSU cant handle the load
5) OS is messed up.

Try installing Windows on a spare hard drive and see if the problems go away.
If so, you know that windows needs repairing or re-installing.
 
Thanks for the quick reply, I should have mentioned my card is watercooled and it isn't overclocked. Just to be sure, I checked to see that the card was seated correctly and the 6-pin connector was in; they were so I guess it could mean a windows reinstall, but I have no other hard drive and it will be a while before I can do that cause the Windows disk is at my parents house (I'm away at school)
 
Just an update, I found the Windows CD so I could do a reinstall. Before I do, anyone have another take on what could be the prob?
 
The first guy got it covered pretty well. I'd personally say it's most likely the card is on the way out, but it /could/ be data corruption. Just... unlikely. RMA time.
 
Try clocking your CPU a fair bit lower.
If that doesnt work, try clocking your graphics card a fair bit lower too.
If that works you know the OS isnt the problem.

If that does work it could be your CPU/Ram/motherboard clock is unstable.
It could also be a sign that your PSU cant supply enough current to run them at normal speeds.
 
I know its a bit late, but I did what you said nenu and underclocked my CPU from 1.86 to 1.61. Tried the two games that had been giving me the most trouble, Stalker and Farcry, now they work fine?! Both these games have ran fine before with the exact same hardware, what could've happened to change this? What does this mean now, do I settle for an underclocked CPU?
 
Most likely it is an air flow issue. IE your heat sink is clogged with dust or a fan in your case died or something like that.

I've never seen a processor just stop functioning. It usually is heat related and thus start looking there first.
 
My northbrigde HS is scalding hot right now ,so, good thinking. Since I moved to water, I removed my rear exhaust hoping the two exhaust fans mounted along w/ my radiator at the top of the case would do the job:(.

However, just for the hell of it, I overclocked my CPU to 2.17 rebooted and the games still work fine. Kinda hard to tell what the problem is, but is it most likely hardware or could it still be my OS.
 
Probably going to just need some general case air flow. There are other things that have to be kept cool also. Mosfetts, Ram, pretty much anything in there can build up some heat over time unless there is a bit of air flow.
 
Back
Top