• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my UPS system dieing?

eagleknight

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
169
I have a Tripplite HT1000LCD. Bought it with my DLP TV back in 2006. It has been hooked up for most of that time for my server and network equipment. I have put my kill-a-watt monitor on it before and it would pull about 50w powdered on with the battery charge and nothing plugged. Under normal operation with my network equipment it pulled around 175w when I have measured it in the past. This week I thought I would test it out and unplug it to make sure it switched over to battery and ran awhile. I plugged in the kill-a-watt. It ran the battery down pretty quick and when I plugged it back in now it has been pulling 300w even after I turned my server off. The battery should be recharged after a day. Now it has been a couple days and it is stilling pulling this much. :eek: Time for a replacement?:confused:

Oh I forgot to mention. The battery indicator light is not showing the battery is bad.
 
I think 5 years is about right to replace the UPS battery. APC has some plan where you can swap your old battery out for a new one for a small fee. I don't know if Tripplite has something similar. But it wouldn't hurt to check.
 
To be honest, we change out batteries in our oilfield applications every year, due to loss of capacity. Now this is overkill for sure, but there is a loss over even 1 year of use. Butif a site goes down its thousands of lost productivity. So a few years for an average person its time. I suppose you dont have a load tester? So cant really check the battery independant of the system
 
To be honest, we change out batteries in our oilfield applications every year, due to loss of capacity. Now this is overkill for sure, but there is a loss over even 1 year of use. Butif a site goes down its thousands of lost productivity. So a few years for an average person its time. I suppose you dont have a load tester? So cant really check the battery independant of the system

Nope, no load tester. I would only be able to measure the battery voltage with my meter, but that probably wouldn't help.
 
The easiest way to determine whether or not you need a new UPS is to replace the battery.

A good UPS isn't designed to be a disposable unit.
 
Ok.. it may not be bad... I forgot I had my TV plugged in because I have it hard wired going to an outlet up stairs and the TV was on... thus why it was pulling more power. haha :D:rolleyes:
 
You may want to replace the battery soon anyways... how long have you been running the UPS again?
 
I have a Tripplite HT1000LCD. Bought it with my DLP TV back in 2006. It has been hooked up for most of that time for my server and network equipment. I have put my kill-a-watt monitor on it before and it would pull about 50w powdered on with the battery charge and nothing plugged. Under normal operation with my network equipment it pulled around 175w when I have measured it in the past. This week I thought I would test it out and unplug it to make sure it switched over to battery and ran awhile. I plugged in the kill-a-watt. It ran the battery down pretty quick and when I plugged it back in now it has been pulling 300w even after I turned my server off. The battery should be recharged after a day. Now it has been a couple days and it is stilling pulling this much. :eek: Time for a replacement?:confused:

Oh I forgot to mention. The battery indicator light is not showing the battery is bad.
543.jpg

By the sounds of it, it must be the battery... Try changing that...
 
Back
Top