• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my UPS still sufficient?

charlok

n00b
Joined
Feb 24, 2006
Messages
20
Hello,

Just built a new rig, and I'd rather not buy a new UPS / surge protector if I don't have to. I think my current UPS can handle it but I wanted to see if anyone can make a quick judgement. Battery uptime is not a big deal for me, I just want the clean power / surge protection. Here's my specs -

Computer -
MSI P55-gd65 mobo
i5-750
Single HD 5850
Corsair TX850W PSU
4 GB G.Skill RAM
2 SATA HDD @ 7200 RPMs, 1 SSD
2 Optical drives
20" LCD display

This is my UPS -
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3193

Thanks!
 
It's all about the run-time you want, which the software should give you a rough indication of. You certainly won't overload it if that's what your asking, provided the batteries are still in good shape.
 
Specs Page said:
Output Watt Capacity (watts) 700

Your PSU is rated higher than what the UPS can handle. It would be possible for you to put components in your PC that your PSU would support, but your UPS wouldn't.

FYI, a 750VA/375W UPS is not enough to support a stock i7-920, GTX285, and 9800GT. At idle, it was showing about 80% load on the UPS. At full load, it was about 120%. If the power went out with the PC at load, it would lose power instantly, as if the UPS wasn't even there.

Your i5's TDP is about 35W less, and your single HD5850 (170W) should draw a lot less than my GTX285 (204W) and 9800GT (~105W). Your current setup should have no issues. However, I think it would be fairly easy for a few upgrades to push you close to the limit of that UPS.
 
I have my main rig, my HTPC, and my Xbox 360 on my APC RS-1200 (780watts).
I can game on the main rig while the 360 plays media from the HTPC, I get less than 5 minutes with this load, but it doesn't overload the UPS, has about 180 watts of headroom.
 
Back
Top