Is my unlocked core on Sempron 140 bad?

Carlitos714

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an sempron 140 that unlocks to a dual core.

When unlocked I can't open origin (error), google chrome (aw, snap error), it fails prime 95 right away on one core and it fails Intel Burn Test on the 3rd pass.

I have opened some older games straight from the folders where the games are installed and they all play well. For some reason opening origin gives me problems

I have vcore @ 1.45 and ram @ 1.65 with all other voltages on auto.
Full specs [SERVER/DAILY DRIVER]Sempron 140, 890FXA-GD70, 8600 GTS, 8 Gb Doms, 120 GB IDE HDD, Antec HE550, WinTV-HVR-1250, DELL PERC 5I W/ HD204UI 2TB x 6 RAID 5

Is there any suggestions to help stabilize the second core? bios setting or voltage changes?

I know its a single core but, man it would be awesome to have a second core.

underclock the shit out of both cores, leave the voltage alone, if they still give you issues underclocked then it's likely the other core isn't ever going to be stable.

Damn didn't want to under volt the cpu. Wanted to over clock the $hit out of it!!!!!

I'll give the under voting tomorrow. I'm also gonna test it more during gaming unlocked at stock speed and see how it holds.

Thank you!

From what I remember, some of the higher-tier AM3 Semprons were really just Athlon II x2's that had defective cores, so they'd disable one core and bin it as a Sempron. Sometimes when you unlock, if it's even successful, the core may or may not be stable. They did this same thing with the Phenom II's. E.g. If a Phenom II x4 955 had a defective core, rather than just throw the whole chip away, they die harvest and just disable a core, binning it instead as a Phenom II x3.

Sometimes the cores weren't defective at all, and they merely disabled cores and binned them due to market demand. In these cases, users could successfully unlock more cores. This was pretty popular with the Thuban-series (codenamed Zosma) quad-core Phenom II's back in the day, people would buy them and try to unlock cores. Imagine if you could do that with FX-series, haha. Buy a 6300 for $120 and then turn it into an octocore.

Most likely, due to the numerous failed tests, that second core on your chip is defective, and was disabled because of that. Sorry, man. :(

From what I remember, some of the higher-tier AM3 Semprons were really just Athlon II x2's that had defective cores, so they'd disable one core and bin it as a Sempron. Sometimes when you unlock, if it's even successful, the core may or may not be stable. They did this same thing with the Phenom II's. E.g. If a Phenom II x4 955 had a defective core, rather than just throw the whole chip away, they die harvest and just disable a core, binning it instead as a Phenom II x3.

Sometimes the cores weren't defective at all, and they merely disabled cores and binned them due to market demand. In these cases, users could successfully unlock more cores. This was pretty popular with the Thuban-series (codenamed Zosma) quad-core Phenom II's back in the day, people would buy them and try to unlock cores. Imagine if you could do that with FX-series, haha. Buy a 6300 for $120 and then turn it into an octocore.

Most likely, due to the numerous failed tests, that second core on your chip is defective, and was disabled because of that. Sorry, man. :(
Thank you for that little bit of history, I appreciate it!

Yeah I already convinced the core is bad. The thing is it games without crashing and I don't notice any other defects while gaming.

Oh well, I do some more testing and see what happens. Thank you

Games in general aren't going to stress your cpu nearly as much as prime95 would (I'm sure you know that though). Good luck, i didn't know about these semprons. When did you buy it? Any way you could return it and re-roll?

Maybe just hunt for a Athlon II on Ebay for peanuts instead?

I had good results playing around with my Athlon II x3. That would unlock to x4.

Plus if you buy new chances are they will be late stock with purely locked cores rather than failed ones (AMD would usually only get those in the early days of the new die process till production methods tuned up).

Games in general aren't going to stress your cpu nearly as much as prime95 would (I'm sure you know that though). Good luck, i didn't know about these semprons. When did you buy it? Any way you could return it and re-roll?

Yes I am aware of that. Sometimes your cpu will crash with very little load when it's not stable, but this cpu has not crashed in games yet. Once my sabertooth gets here, I will be overclocking and then I will see how much this little cpu can handle and not crash in games.

The cpu and msi mobo were free. I don't have any retail packaging for them.

Maybe just hunt for a Athlon II on Ebay for peanuts instead?

I had good results playing around with my Athlon II x3. That would unlock to x4.

Plus if you buy new chances are they will be late stock with purely locked cores rather than failed ones (AMD would usually only get those in the early days of the new die process till production methods tuned up).

Yea maybe I can get something cheap. I will see how this cpu can handle the lower intense games. Then I will decide. Thank you for the advice.

Grab a phenom dual like a 555 or 550, I have one and it unlocks to a quad like a champ. Cheap as chips, too.

phenom II 550
Well those sound very temping. Are those cpu's power hogs?

Today I was gaming with a slight overclock on my gpu and I was pullilng 220 watts on my little rig. I wonder how much power is used by my perc5i and 7 hard drive i have in there. I should test it out.

I am looking for something that consumes lower power so I dont know if a quad core would be efficient :(

Thank you for your advice btw

Bad link buddy.

My 550 runs my minecraft server 24/7, I use the extra cores to render worlds in MCmap. I don't really check wattages, but it draws very little power as a dual, and the L3 cache helps out for big computation tasks.

Yes I am aware of that. Sometimes your cpu will crash with very little load when it's not stable, but this cpu has not crashed in games yet. Once my sabertooth gets here, I will be overclocking and then I will see how much this little cpu can handle and not crash in games.
Make sure you post your results. I'm running a gigabyte 970fx-ud3 which isn't a bad board and I got my cpu to 4.8 pretty easily, but am wondering if moving up to a sabertooth or the gigabyte 990fx board would improve my oc/stability. Have fun!

My 550 runs my minecraft server 24/7, I use the extra cores to render worlds in MCmap. I don't really check wattages, but it draws very little power as a dual, and the L3 cache helps out for big computation tasks.
Thank you for your info. I think I might upgrade my GPU first and see how my little CPU will handle the games I play.
Make sure you post your results. I'm running a gigabyte 970fx-ud3 which isn't a bad board and I got my cpu to 4.8 pretty easily, but am wondering if moving up to a sabertooth or the gigabyte 990fx board would improve my oc/stability. Have fun!
I will post them for sure.

I don't know if I'll be able to push my CPU that far especially as a dual core.

What are max temps and vcore\other voltages for AMD CPU's?

This cpu has me confused. It fails Prime95 and LinX but, it holds during gaming and video encoding.

WTF can anyone give me a clear answer?

Thanks fellas

Gaming is not as full of a load on the CPU, plus, if it is failing in a minor way, it could just lead to bugs and glitches instead of full crashes.

Gaming is not as full of a load on the CPU, plus, if it is failing in a minor way, it could just lead to bugs and glitches instead of full crashes.

Yes, I understand this about gaming.

The thing is it encodes a video just fine. I have it overclocked right now as dual core @ 3.8 Ghz and its doing just fine. I already tried 3.4 Ghz and it encoded just fine too. The video is 108 min long and my son already watched it twice and I have yet to notice any wrong with the final product.

Handbrake puts 100% load on both cores BTW.

This thing is strange. Anyhow, I'm gonna continue to push the cpu more.

Back