Is my system "old"?

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I know we have Prescotts and HyperThreading and many 'new'er advancements, but here are my system specs:

Pentium®4 2.8 GHz (533MHz FSB)
Abit IT7-MAX2
Mushkin DDR 2700 [1GB Total]
ATi RADEON™ 9800 XT [256MB]
Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM (8MB Cache) HDDs (X2 - 240GB Total)
Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum
Antec Performance Series 430W Case
Pioneer A107 DVD-RW/+RW and Pioneer A106 DVD-RW/+RW
ViewSonic P220fb Professional Monitor [Primary]
ViewSonic PT810 [Secondary]
Microsoft® Windows XP® Professional OS

I need to know if I can comfortably play Painkiller, Far Cry, Breed, Unreal Tournament 2004,Half Life 2 and hopefully DOOM 3. I normally play 1600x1200x32, 85Hz Monitor Refresh Rate, all eye-candy ON (except AA).

Your insights and comments are greatly appreciated.

i have that same motherboard and i cannot get my onboard lan to work, when i install the drivers it installs the firewire driver as a network card or something like that, so i just use a 3com nic i had laying around.

asshat. what kinda crap is this? no, you need a better system, because your e-penis is shrinking very rapidly..... especially !!!!!uckers who like to gloat like this.

p.s. I hope you have all of that on a surge protector
p.p.s. if you're going to gloat, get some better ram.

Originally posted by Cannibal Corpse
Well, I know we have Prescotts and HyperThreading and many 'new'er advancements, but here are my system specs:

Abit IT7-MAX2

I need to know if I can comfortably play Painkiller, Far Cry, Breed, Unreal Tournament 2004,Half Life 2 and hopefully DOOM 3. I normally play 1600x1200x32, 85Hz Monitor Refresh Rate, all eye-candy ON (except AA).

Your insights and comments are greatly appreciated.

My system is similar in power, Its specs are:

Pentium®4 [email protected] (533MHz FSB) W/HT
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
Samsung DDR PC3200 [1GB Total] 2x512MB
ATi RADEON™ 9600Pro (411Core/317mem) [128MB]
Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM (8MB Cache) HDDs (X2 - 240GB Total)
Sound Blaster Audigy
Antec Performance Series II 430W Case
Sony 16X DVD Rom and Sony 48x24x48CD-R/CD-RW
Sony Multiscan E400 Monitor [Primary]
Hewlett Packard Ultra VGA 1280 [Secondary]

You've got a nicer video card. But that is getting changed soon. I can't stand the damn 9600Pro. Doesn't give me the frame rates I want. I bought the card because its all I had money for when my Ti4600 went out.

Too many good games are coming out soon:

Far Cry (this month!)
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (this month!)
UT2K4 (this month!)

Painkiller (next month)

If you really want to know then download the freakin demos! UT2004, Painkiller, and Far Cry all have demos out. But yea your system sucks, it needs to be at least a P4EE 3.4 with 2GB of 550Mhz ddr and sprinkles on top to play the new l337 games. [/sarcasm]

Anyone know when the next generation ATI and nVidia cards come out?

I'm wondering if I should upgrade now or wait. If those games are comming out this month I might want to go ahead and get the new card.

Too many good games are coming out soon:

Far Cry (this month!)
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (this month!)
UT2K4 (this month!)

Painkiller (next month)

God damnit, I have term papers to finish and final exams coming in april. What a terrible time for releasing games, why couldnt they have done this at Christmas when I had time to play?????

i wouldnt consider it old at all, its pretty damn nice, from the specs i read, and plenty fast to run new games, at good quality settings

Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
Your system is much better than what most people have.

its not the speed of your system but the user that makes a machine.

The user doesn't create higher framerates. At some point it comes down to hardware.

Take any good gamer. Then put one on a PII 300 running Farcry. Then take that same gamer and put them on a P4 3.4EE and see what difference it makes.

Gameplay sorely lacks on machines with real slow hardware.

Originally posted by Sir-Fragalot
The user doesn't create higher framerates. At some point it comes down to hardware.

Take any good gamer. Then put one on a PII 300 running Farcry. Then take that same gamer and put them on a P4 3.4EE and see what difference it makes.

Yes, but I will take a good friend over a fast machine anyday. I hate assholes and only marginally dislike slower "older" machines.

I too have an old clicky keyboard. It's unfortunate that they are all membrane based instead of mechanical now.

but i think your system is still strong to plied the new game
maybe you can update your proc and monitor to lcd

Originally posted by Sir-Fragalot

let's not forget the software (esp. OS installation). I don't know how Dell manages to make a P4 with 512MB of RAM slow, but they do.

dell makes it slow because they jip you out the video card. I have almost the same system. I have been thinking about getting a 2.6HT and dual channel memory but I am not sure if I will see a difference.:eek: I have been having a itch to upgrade though but then I think all the stuff I have to buy to go the 775pin route damn intel

OEM's make their systems slow because of all that extra shit software added to the machine. Like MS works and anti-virus software and crap CD burning software. Plus any other shit app of the week they throw on there. Not to mention they don't bother with anything other than the most outdated drivers available.

That's one thing about buying corporate PC's that rocks. They usually come with little to no software other than the OS.

OEM's also never tune their software. They don't turn off system restore or any of the extra services that drag a machine down.

Originally posted by Munka
asshat. what kinda crap is this? no, you need a better system, because your e-penis is shrinking very rapidly..... especially !!!!!uckers who like to gloat like this.

p.s. I hope you have all of that on a surge protector
p.p.s. if you're going to gloat, get some better ram.

You're new here. There is something up above called the RULES. Read them. NO FLAMING.

:rolleyes:

Is it really a flame when he asks a question like that. Its like having a Camaro and saying "can i beat a civic?" People like him should be barred from having computers. Just like those rich girls at school with nice cars but they dont know it...

i dunno , i thought that flame was quite funny :p , if a bit rude

and i especially liked the e-penis reference :p

Actually people who are generally on the cutting edge of technology. Especially when there are about to be alot of new things released. Will feel as if there machine is old. Especially if they haven't upgraded in awhile.

I think the original poster of this question has that old feeling even though their system specs are better than alot of people's.

So I don't think its gloating. I think that it was a valid question. But some people take it the wrong way and think OMG he has a system like that and wants more!?!? How date they? Some people just react the wrong way to people asking a question like that.

But the flame was kind of funny anyway. :D

Agreed my man, and I just did a 3dMark 2001, and got a 859 with my geForce2 overclocked in my P2. So you know what, that dude, can just... grr you spoiled people...

Personally, I can see several areas where his intArw3b p3n0s has shrunken!!

Instead of being jealous of his obvious too-much-money, let's point out the areas where our systems are still superior:

Abit IT7-MAX2

#1) CRTs? Pffft....how 20th century! You haven't lived until you've played on a high-quality LCD (two untruths about LCDs: You need to spend $1000 to get a good one. FALSE! You can get a 'good one' under $400. Also FALSE!)

#2) NOTHING IS OVERCLOCKED. OMFG, I can't believe nobody saw this. P-IV 2.8ghz AT 2.8GHZ! How lame! And only 533 FSB! 533!!!. No, dude, that is SERIOUSLY in need of some help. Fully expect to have to turn down some settings on CPU-intensive games (most modern flight sims, some first-person games)

#3a) Audio? First, the Audigy2 is an ass-tastic soundcard, but I recognize it's pretty much your only option if you go Intel (the integrated nForce2 audio I generally hold in higher regard do to its excellent Dolby Digital encoding feature). Audigy only stands up if you really put down the dough for quality speakers and quality analog cable (since it can only DO analog-out in surround)

#3b) With all the p3n0s-waving going on here, no mention of speakers? I'd put money he's using some lame Logitech 5.1 system (or worse, Creative). Speakers make 90% of the gaming experience in these new games - especially Doom3 where rumor tells us it will be doing on-the-fly DD encoding itself. It will pay in spades to have a DD-ready receiver!

#4) Goes back to #1, but....the 9800XT DOES NOT IMPRESS when NOT OVERCLOCKED.

#5) What kind of cooling? No mention of it, so we can assume one of two things: #1) Some noisy, lame-ass stock cooling system. #2) Some noiser, wasted, high-end aircooling system. Slap a decent watercooling system on that buddy, and come back when you get [H]ard.

#6) As noted in other posts...that's pretty low-end ram. Mushkin doesn't have the reputation it used to in ANY case, and PC2700 is about as 'entry-level' as you can get.

#7) Spending that kind of money on a system AND IT'S ONLY 32BIT!?!? How 20th century! 32bit systems are fine if you are doing it to pinch pennies - I have an AMD mobile CPU running at 2.6ghz right now (call it an AthlonXP '3800+' or so), but it only set me back $80. 64bit is all the rage right now - you can put hard money down there will be a 64-bit version of UT2k4 and a 64-bit version of Doom3. Those will run unbelievably faster on a 64-bit system than their 32-bit counterparts will on 32-bit systems.

And yet....TWO DVD burners? TWO 120gb hard drives? TWO Viewsonic monitors?

It smacks of someone with a LOT of money on their hands to put together a system, but not real expertise in what to get to maximize performance....so they just buy the most expensive parts they can find, and as many of them as they can afford. As if it would somehow make their computer faster.

CRT >> LCD for color, gaming, and more. I like my LCD's, but I wouldn't give up my FP2141 for ANYTHING. It's better than ANY LCD out there right now (under $5000). Your 'Good one' doesn't hold a candle :)

Originally posted by Mr. Bill
Is it really a flame when he asks a question like that. Its like having a Camaro and saying "can i beat a civic?" People like him should be barred from having computers. Just like those rich girls at school with nice cars but they dont know it...

Some people just don't know how their system stacks up. Unless they start rubbing it in, don't even start to flame.

I like my LCD's, but I wouldn't give up my FP2141 for ANYTHING. It's better than ANY LCD out there right now (under $5000).

First, as in my sig, I'm using an NEC 1760NX. Compared to a Trinitron monitor, I find the colors quiet acceptable.

Problem with an analog monitor is that you have to screw with the colors so much to get them 'right'. Even then, I was never completely happy with them. There are meters you can buy to help you set the colors on your display to be 'true', but they are not cheap, and it's a tiring exercise.

Now, if you have a DVI-based CRT (and there are many), this complaint is irrelevant. But they tend to start costing up there with LCDs.

In any case, LCDs color range *may* be technically more limited than CRTs, but you'll rarely notice it, and I think the technology's advantages outweigh this fault.

Secondly, I CANNOT LIVE without the crispness of display an LCD has. I spend most of my day working on my computer - code, word processing, reading logs, etc. The clarity difference is just....I mean, there are no words. It's like the difference between reading a document laser-printed at 2000dpi vs a dot-matrix printed document blurred from water damage.

Personally, I like the lack of refresh rate, too. Even 85hz would annoy me after a while at higher resolutions - forcing me to set lower res (for 85 to be 'okay', or to even GET resolutions higher than 85). LCD = no refresh rate. VERY nice.

Finally, there is the desk space. Yeah, some of us have big desks. But, even still, having a nice, tiny, LCD sitting on it just leaves more room for other things. More room to spread out your arms for maximum comfort using a keyboard. More room for speakers, joysticks, etc - without things looking clutterly. A 19" LCD (comparable in screen real estate to a 17" LCD) is just MONSTROUS compared to LCDs.

It's sounds like a niggling point, but, like ergonomic keyboards and trackballs...once you get used to actually having ROOM TO WORK and COMFORT...it's hard to go back. Sort of like a GF-MX to a Radeon 9800 or something. Yeah, the old card might play whatever games you were working on, but once you have a personal point of reference as to what is 'better', it becomes hard to go back to a budget card EVER.

Same thing here. Once you use an LCD for a while and get USED to the extra space, the crispness of display, etc - it's hard to go back. And by 'for a while', I mean, more time than it takes to just notice those features and think "well, that's nice, moving on". I mean, use it until that extra space becomes something you start using, then needing. Use it until that crispness becomes something more than just a neat bullet point but an integral part of your daily work.

THEN try going back to CRTs. It just won't happen.

I did use LCD's for a long time. My eyes thanked me when I came back to 1600x1200 @120hz. :)

NEC FP2141SB. Read some of the reviews. Use one. Then try going BACK to an LCD for any image work or gaming.

Good luck :p

When an LCD can get pure black (can't happen with LCD technology, at all. Physically impossible), OR pure white (again, with a liquid crystal, IMPOSSIBLE), or response times in the quantum range (yay photons and energy states), I'll get one for my desktop. Not till then.

Use a top-end CRT. Then try a top end LCD. You'll see the difference, I guarantee it.

Other than for still text, CRT > LCD for everything.

If you want the physics details, I can give them to you.

Oh yeah? My computer whoops all o' yours. Dual Xeons baby. It's quiet, and stylish. This thing multitasks like yo momma on crack.

Back