>.< Is my router bricked?

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,

I have a Linksys WRT54G ver. 6 wireless router. A couple weeks ago it stopped working all together so I ended up ordering a cheap wired replacement that has worked surprisingly well so far. Only problem is I would really like to get Wireless back.

So, to explain a little more, when i plug the router (WRT54G) into my modem (A Westell 6100) it doesnt do crap, I can't get an IP or anything. I've tried resetting it (holding the button on the back for 30sec) and still no difference but, sometimes if i hook it directly to my computer (or the laptop) through an ethernet cable i can sometimes get into the settings page but usually don't get any farther because it loses the connection.

Right now I'm at a loss as what to do. So I come asking for help from the fellow [H].

Damn...you can't even get into the router config most of the time? While my initial instinct is "Loose NIC port at router, or wonky cable," that probably still falls under the brick category.

VERIFY the IP address of the Westell 6100 without the Linksys connected. I've ALWAYS seen the factory settings of 192.168.1.1. The Linksys router (WRT54G/GS) defaults to 192.168.1.1 too. That's the problem, I'll bet.

If this is true, you must change the MODE of the Westell to BRIDGE, not ROUTED and the IP address to anything else. I always use 192.168.2.1. Sometimes I had to clone the MAC address within the Linksys router.

I've ran into this on severial systems, usually with Verizon as the ISP. An easier solution is to exchange the Westell for an Actiontec DSL modem with Wireless builtin.

Hope this helps!

VERIFY the IP address of the Westell 6100 without the Linksys connected. I've ALWAYS seen the factory settings of 192.168.1.1. The Linksys router (WRT54G/GS) defaults to 192.168.1.1 too. That's the problem, I'll bet.

If this is true, you must change the MODE of the Westell to BRIDGE, not ROUTED and the IP address to anything else. I always use 192.168.2.1. Sometimes I had to clone the MAC address within the Linksys router.

I've ran into this on severial systems, usually with Verizon as the ISP. An easier solution is to exchange the Westell for an Actiontec DSL modem with Wireless builtin.

Hope this helps!

Yes, the modems IP is as you mention. Right now I've given up on messing with it and am eventually going to replace it with something else. The only problem with changing the IP and setting the modem the bridge is that i cant even get into the router when its hooked to a computer and nothing else, to be honest I think it hit the bucket.

You might want to also drop your PC's NIC setting to 10BaseT (Half Duplex). I've found that things are much more stable when you are arguing with Routers, esp. SOHO ones.

:) .

Back