Is my PSU too old for my new build?

GenBanks

Gawd
Hello,

In the next few days I'm going to set up a new rig with a Maximus VII Ranger Z97 board and an i5 4670k... The rest of the rig will be the same as in my sig.

Would you advise that I carry on using my current PSU, a Cooler Master Real Power M1000?
(Here's the Cooler Master website link)

It's rather old but should I be ok on connector compatibility for the motherboard? It's beyond its 5 year warranty I think, but seems to work fine...

(My only concern is that when I enable XMP and run my memory at rated voltage, every time my computer starts up it begins by spinning fans, stops, then starts spinning again a couple seconds later and powers up fine, but that isn't necessarily PSU related...)

From what I read any modern PSU will work if it's 24 pin and at least bronze, the issue is with the c6/c7 sleep states.
Apparently due to issues those have been turned off in bios for more compatibility.
Only Haswell approved can go into that deep of sleep and send a keep alive so the computer does not shut down cold.

Make sure those are turned off in bios, your PSU should be fine.

Course if you never use sleep this does not matter.

I tried that idea for one of my friends builds. The PSU will definitely work but the question is for how long. If the PSU is already over 5 years old it's probably due for an upgrade. His ended up dying a few months after it moved over to the new system. So we ended up having to get a new one anyway and the computer was down a few days while we waited for it.

Well I'd say for most of its life it has only had a single gpu, and the cpu was usually not overclocked. But it's usually on for between 5-15 hours for 4-5 days per week, quite a few hours of that spent gaming.

I just cleaned a decent amount of dust clumped up inside it, that probably hasn't helped its longevity...

I tried that idea for one of my friends builds. The PSU will definitely work but the question is for how long. If the PSU is already over 5 years old it's probably due for an upgrade. His ended up dying a few months after it moved over to the new system. So we ended up having to get a new one anyway and the computer was down a few days while we waited for it.

I agree here with bman. Why risk it. My XFX (Seasonic build) is @ 4+ years. When I build my new rig in the fall, the PSU will go into the recycle bin @ my local town. Just buy a new PSU & you'll be all set. Plus, I'm a smoker & that doesn't help @ all.

Hmm I think you guys have convinced me... I'm really stretching my budget now hehe, at least a lot of the top PSUs seem to come with 7 year warranties now!

Any opinion between these three?

Corsair AX860i
Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 (850w or 1000w, although the 1kw is gold not platinum)
Antec HCP Platinum (850w or 1000w)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wouldn't have a quam with any of those units. If I had to nit pick the antec has multiple 12v volt rails which means you would need to worry about load balancing..... but that's not really an issue.

Ok, I've gone for the Be Quiet Dark Power pro!
What had initially been intended to be a partial upgrade of just my motherboard and cpu has quickly escalated into building a whole new system hehe...

I agree here with bman. Why risk it. My XFX (Seasonic build) is @ 4+ years. When I build my new rig in the fall, the PSU will go into the recycle bin @ my local town. Just buy a new PSU & you'll be all set. Plus, I'm a smoker & that doesn't help @ all.

What a waste of a likely perfectly fine piece of equipment. At least give it to someone who make make use of it.

I purchased my PCP&C unit in 2006. As recent as last week my Fluke reports rock solid voltages under transient load. It's powered several upgrades for near 24/7 operation. I'd feel silly replacing it. Why bother buying quality components?

Though... My Fluke is a couple years old... Maybe it's time to bin that as well.

Well, NOOBie(oh not your name just your post) :p
Epic....In power supplies the Capacitors go bad...they start to swell and or leak and then pop...in each state they start to lose more and more quality....

NOTHING WILL KILL YOUR MOBO and other parts FASTER THAN A BAD **PSU**

It's exceedingly easy to look at the caps however you've changed my mind. I'm going to replace my power supply before every cold boot-- Just in case! Top of the line OEM or not there is just no telling when that thing will flame out. :rolleyes:

Wasting your money is one thing.. but at least give it a second chance rather than throwing it in the bin. I gave away my old Antec TruePower 550.. still functional, no leaking caps, looked pretty clean on the 'scope.. no reason to throw it away. I can only guess that thing is from ~2002.

Psst... my cars are old too.. and my hybrid battery is ten years old.. not binning it yet either ;)

Last edited:
Well, NOOBie(oh not your name just your post) :p
Epic....In power supplies the Capacitors go bad...they start to swell and or leak and then pop...in each state they start to lose more and more quality....

NOTHING WILL KILL YOUR MOBO and other parts FASTER THAN A BAD **PSU**

In quality power supplies, capacitors go bad over tens of years, not several years.

A bad PSU that performs out of spec 24/7 kills your components. A quality PSU does not go out of spec, and when it dies, it doesn't take anything else out with it.

Back