• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my PSU shot?

new@this

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
88
I have a Seasonic m12 700w PSU. I have noticed that once in a while during long gaming sessions, I will bsod and notice my CPU fan slows down drastically. When I look at SpeedFan, my cpu RPM's are in the high 600's, which seems ridiculously low. I also notice that the +12V is at 11.30V. Does this mean my PSU is dying? Or is there a way to somehow up the voltage to 12V in the BIOS?
 
The rest of the rig seems to run great. i7 at 3.8 on a megahalems in push pull, 2x 5850 xfired, manually overclocked and the gpu fans will go to 100 percent no problem. And this CPU fan problem only happens when the ambient room temperature is very high. It is very hot and humid and my central ac broke down so the ambient temp is abnormally high right now. This seems to be the only time I have these cpu fan problems, but it sucks because when it does happen i dont want to fry my cpu!

My i7 idles at 42-45 across the 4 cores, and when gaming the highest it gets is around 60
 
It's not possible to control PSU voltages through software. And if you suspect the PSU is defective, you should measure the voltages with a digital multimeter, as software readings can be deceptive. It's possible the symptoms you describe can be attributed to something else, but the PSU is as good a place to start as any.
 
Yeah in the BIOS it says 12V is at 12.025. Weird. Well maybe its the cpu fan itself. Thanks.
 
Back
Top