• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

is my PSU preventing overclocking?

Teecee

Gawd
2FA
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
948
Just recently I updated my e6600 to a Q6600 and I have been trying to overclock it with no luck. I have spent much time over on the eVGA forums tweaking this and that but still cannot get a stable overclock over 2.6 ghz...stock is 2.4ghz so yeah, that sucks. My e6600 could do 3ghz with no problem. I am wondering if my PC&C silencer 750W is holding me back. I have a Q6600, 4 x 1gb corsair dominator 8500, 7 nexus 120mm case fans, 2 x 8800 GTX, 3 x 500gb 7200.10 hard drives, G15 keyboard and G5 mouse, and a logitech USB microphone.


Now at work I have basically the exact same setup but with 1 less 8800GTX and I can overclock it to 3ghz easy. I am just trying to weed out some ideas of what is preventing me from overclocking.
 
Unlikely; Try pulling 2 sticks of ram, to see if that helps.
 
I was able to overclock fine with 4 sticks and my e6600. By pulling out 2 sticks of memory, what will I prove?
 
Apparently I have the AR version of the eVGA 680i board and they are famous for being terrible and overclocking quad cores.
 
Back
Top