is my PSU dying?

Bakku

Limp Gawd
i have noticed that my rig crushes randomly whenever i play Bioshock. My PC no longer passes OCCT burn in, it would last from around 10 minutes to couples of hours, it's pretty random. the temperature looks normal during the tests and i've even tried to lower my oc just for the sake of making sure the problem is not related to oc.

the readings i got from speedfan seems a bit lower than where it should be. i am getting around 11.6v-11.8v on the 12v rail, 3.2v on the 3.3v rail and 4.7v-4.8v on the 5v rail. i vaguely remember those values should be much closer to the specs, and it wasnt this low. this PSU is 2 years old, JUST PC brand 500w version, and i usually have my PC on 24/7 during the usage of this PSU. does anyone have experience with JUST PC's psu? do they pretty much expires after 2 years of usage?

i forgot to mention that when i said Bioshock crushes, it means it just crushes to the desktop and the OS is still working fine, no BSOD nor reboots.

are u running at stock speeds? voltages seem kinda ok. also you could have a look at the capacitors on the motherboard do they bump out on the top (like a coke can after its been in the freezer)? do they have black on them?

the rig is mildly oc'ed, it's only running at 2.8GHz with 2.6GHz being default. the temp looks ok and i thought the voltage readings looks fishy, i have no idea. i should probably try with default clock speed and run some tests.

the capacitors on the motherboard look fine, however, the large capacitors in the psu seem a little bumped out on the top, i am a little concerned with that. should the top of the capacitors be completely flat? the ones inside the psu looks a bit convex out.

capacitors that look like frozen coke can = always bad.

yep that's probably your problem, to you have another psu (or two) to temporarily run some tests? maybe if you have a friend that is nice enough to let you steal their psu for a while?

but, i'd be looking to buy a new one anyways in the near future if I were you.

Back