• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my PSU dying?

daedalus2

n00b
Joined
Apr 29, 2007
Messages
3
Hi guys,

Yesterday I upgraded my Socket 939-based system from a 3500+ to a 4200+ X2. After the installation, I noticed some weird readings in the PC Health area of the BIOS - specifically, the +3.3V rail was spending about 75% of the time reading FAIL.

Since the upgrade, I've had a couple of lockups. I've had one or two similar experiences prior to the upgrade, but it's definitely become much more frequent since the new CPU went in.

I fired up SpeedFan and took about 40 minutes' worth of readings. Here's what I got:

+3.3V:

33vsl2.png


+5V:

5vut8.png


+12V:

12vbk0.png


Does this look like a dying PSU to you?

Would the CPU upgrade be responsible somehow, or is it just likely that the dual core processor is drawing more power and thus showing up the problem that was there to begin with?

Is there any other diagnosis I should do? Help! :)
 
There's definitely a beta BIOS that's at least one version later, but not much apart from that. I reflashed the BIOS and jumped several revisions ahead prior to the upgrade.
 
Some additional info, FWIW: the PSU in question is a 500W Seasonic. I've had it for a little over 2 years.
 
Back
Top