• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my processor fried

Engine126

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 15, 2002
Messages
70
I have a DFI P 965-S MB with a Intel 820 Pentum D CPU, Vista Home Premium, 3 G Ampo PC2-5300, 250 G WD SATA HD, and EVGA 8600 GT video card.System worked at start but I tried to update bios and nothing now. Changed bios chip twice. Purchase from DFI. Changed to Foxconn G41S-K still nothing tried all three sticks of Ampo ( Wintec ) memory and still nothing used PCI E video card on both MBs and the onboard on Foxconn. Could the problem be CPU.
 
Could be anything from CPU to PSU. It helps to go at things methodically and if you have access to known good parts (e.g. from a PC store that you can return if your part turns out to be good).

Not sure what your problem symptoms are, but I'm assuming your not booting up at all. Are you getting any bios beep tones? If not then it is the one of the following components: motherboard, memory, cpu, psu.

Do the following. Plug in 1 stick of memory and cpu to your motherboard and disconnect everything else. Connect psu and power-on. If you do not get any bios beeps, then it is either the psu, motherboard or cpu. Get known good replacement parts. Build up those new parts and see if you can boot (you should). Now swap in each of your components and see which one(s) are broken.

On a side note, now might be a good time to upgrade. If you have a Fry's near you you can put together a dual-core mb+cpu+ram combo for less than $200 on sale. Another option is to look into catching one of the refurb sales at tigerdirect. I got a full E5200 + 4GB of memory + OS + HDD for $350 after BCB. You should see a big boost compared to your current system.
 
I am pretty sure PSU is ok pulled all ram out off of both MB's and no beep nothing just black screen.
 
I am pretty sure PSU is ok pulled all ram out off of both MB's and no beep nothing just black screen.

Thought that too, when I had problems with my IP-35 and OCZ PSU. I could see an LED on the MB lighting so I knew the MB was getting power so it couldn't be the MB. After swapping the MB, CPU, DRAM, etc. I finally tried a different PSU. Guess what, the 12V rails were shot and the 5V was still ok, so that was why the MB LED was still on. ;)

I've had 2 Pentium socket 775 machines go out on me recently, one for the PSU the other one I think MB. That was after investing on 2GB DDR1 kits for them. It was so hard to find parts to troubleshoot them and I didn't want to waste more than $25 on repairs. When I saw the E5200 deal I just went for that. It had 2x the CPUs, Mem, HDD and Vista vs. XP. First one I got around Thanksgiving was actually $280. The second one a month ago was $350. Still beats spending all the time troubleshooting the systems, buying parts, etc. The new box is flying compared to what it replaced even if it is 1-2 years old tech.
 
Back
Top